cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

job Queued, tape full

faisal7c
Level 4

Hello All,

I have weekily full file back to Tape library, i have 6 tape in Media and overwrite protection period is 1Hrs and apend data infinite-Allow append.

Six tape is full now and job in Queued, how to run the job, do i need to erase the tape? if what happend the data inside?

what are the other solution to continuoue the job.

i'm attaching screen shot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

3...just rearrange your media to suit your slots...

If any of this helped, can you close this query off with the solution?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You will have to configure your backup job to overwrite a tape. It is probably configured to never overwrite a tape.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No need to erase the tape manually.

Change the setting suggested by ZeRoC00l as Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is available..

You can understand overwriting the media as Erasing the data previously lying on media and writing the new data. Which means your previous backups on this media will not be available for restores.

That's why it is so crucial to use Overwrite Protection Period and Append Period correctly.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Once your six tape is full ,backup exec would need a media which can be overwritten. Incase if you have a tape in the library which can be overwritten the job would overwrite the tape if not it will prompt you to insert one using the import command .When you overwrite a media the data on the media get erased. If you want to overwrite any of the exisiting tape which has overwrite protection period then you just need to move the media to scratch media set ,so that backup exec see that tape as a new tape and overwrite it . Incase if you have a proper media set configured ,the rotation of the tape should work automatically and no manual introversion is required

CraigV

...before checking the above, I would make sure that your media set Overwrite Protection Period and Append Periods are correct. If they are set for too far in the future, they would not become scratch, meaning that those settings above will still do nothing.

Make sure your Append period and OPP are correct...you can at least test with this, and then set the above settings...

faisal7c
Level 4

Thanks for all,

1-The Job is set as Append to media, Overwrite if no appendable media is available

2-Medai Set Overwrite Protection 1 Hours and Append Perieod- Infinite Allow Append

Do I need to change anything??

I have one more job running for Differencial Backup, it has also same settings i did, but some time the Differencial media tape is move to normal backup media set.

here my plan

6 tapes for full backup weekly(Thursday)

3 tapes for Differencial backup for daily (Sunday, Moday, Tuesday and wednesday

my qustion is for above setup what are the configuration i have do by step

i want to write the data always in same media , i wont jumb the tape automaticaly to another media set ( All tapes are look likfe full)

( I'm using HP Tape Library - arround 21 tape is inside)

Please advise me

faisal

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As you see in the start post the user configured the OPP and Append already !

CraigV

...I can read clearly, but if they are incorrect, they will cause the backups to fail if the tapes are full, and not available as scratch. enlightened

Been there, done it, got the medal as a result. Seen it on the forums, heard the guys talking about it...

CraigV

...try setting your OPP to say 3 days and see what happens then. COULD be that your media is appending till it is full, and for some reason it is not returning to scratch as a result.

As for your tapes, 3 tapes for differentials won't cut Sunday --> Wednesday...you would need 1 more.

As for keeping things pointed to a specific tape/media set, with a library you can partition your slots. I would consider partitioning those slots according to how you want your backups to run, and then point your respective jobs to that. This way, if a tape is used in slot 1, but a tape is available in slot 15, the next day's backups should in theory use the next available tape in that slot set (say slots 1 --> 5 for example). You can keep your tapes in those slots, which are kind of designated for the media sets.

faisal7c
Level 4

Thax criag for reply,

1-as you said is exactly corrrect, media is appending till it is full, and for some reason it is not returning to scratch.

2-i can add one tape to differential

3-I cannot partition my slots because the previous configuration was not proper and all the mdeai is not in order eg: full backup using slo1, 8,10,19 etc, and already there backup.

anyway thanks for all..

CraigV

3...just rearrange your media to suit your slots...

If any of this helped, can you close this query off with the solution?

faisal7c
Level 4

Thank you

CraigV

Can you close it off with the solution please? Just need to mark it as such...

CraigV

Hi faisal,

If any of the posts helped you, can you mark off the solution please?

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sorry for jumping in a little late, here

But when using "Append" to tape media, you need to understand that all of the media in an "append family" share the same OPP, which is reset each time a job finishes

This, in effect, means that you need to have two sets of media.  Overwrite/Append  until one set fills up, then swap the media and do another Overwrite/Append cycle 'til the second set of media fills up, then swap in the first set   (in this instance, set of media does NOT refer to a media set but the six tapes you want to write to)