cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

library tape0 corrupt/damaged/broken

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi!
I use BackupExec 12.5 with all/latest Updates on Windows Server 2003 with all/latest Updates.
In recent times i get mails from the backup server with the following message(s):
"Der Wechselmediendienst kann die Bibliothek Tape0 nicht verwalten. Die Datenbank ist beschädigt." and
"Der Wechselmediendienst kann die Bibliothek Tape1 nicht verwalten. Die Datenbank ist beschädigt."
Free translated: The changer-service can not manage library tape0/1. The database is corrupt/damaged/broken.

Could anyone tell me more about the message/about the mentioned libraries?

Thanky you with the best greetings!!
25 REPLIES 25

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

What make of library is this? If it's an HP, go to www.hp.com, and go a search under the Drivers section for HP Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT). This will allow you to run diagnostics against the library to check if it's a hardware fault or not.
Are there any specific errors that you are getting in BE? V-79-xxx?

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi,
thanks for your reply.
I don't know "what make of library" this is. I thought you could tell me what is meant... I thought "Bibliothek Tape0" and "Bibliothek Tape1" are databases from BackupExec itself or something like that...
Or would you say that are database for/from the changer?
The changer is an Scalar24 from Quantum (http://www.quantum.com/Products/TapeLibraries/Scalar24/Index.aspx). In BackupExec it's manufacturerer is named "ADIC". And with the changer there are often problems, e.g.  it is Offline or/and it dissappears from Windows' Hardwaremanager. Then I alwas have to put power off and on, restart the Server and use the BackupExecAssistant for "Configuring Devices" (Assistent für die Gerätekonfiguration).........
Do you think the messegas could be a reason for this behavior of the changer?
Sorry for my english ;)

CraigV
Make of library = who made it. Is there no identification on the front?
Those Bibliothek Tape0/Tape01 would refer to the drives themselves.
Backup Exec doesn't have any sort of databases like that.
Have you made sure that Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled?

magicpacket
Level 3
Ahhaa....
But what is meant with "Die Datenbank ist beschädigt. (The database is corrupt/damaged/broken)"?? A software-database or the hardware-tape-changer an its streamers themself??

>>>Have you made sure that Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled?<<<
No I didn't. What is the Removable Storage service? A Service used/provided by BackupExec or a Service provided by Windows (Computermanagement-->Services) and what is it for exactly? Maybe you can tell me the german name? Sorry and thanks :)

CraigV
Mmm...can't tell you that unfortunately. =(
What it does is manage both removable devices (like an external hard drive), and NTbackup needs this to run.
It also locks the backup device you're using, anc this is what causes issues with Backup Exec.

I've had that issue you've been describing, and it's not a corrupt/broken database. This was caused by Removable Storage which was started.

Poke around in Services.msc and see what it is...stop it, and then disable it. Restart your Backup Exec services, and then run the device wizard for good measure. This should sort things out.

Let me know if you don't come right.

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi!
I found a service wich fits to your description - in german it is called "Wechselmedien" (free translatet description: manages and catalogues removable devices and controls automatic removable devices.....). After stopping and disabling it, i re-startet the BackupExec-Services. But without this service running it seems to be more bad than before because all backupjobs stopp with "systemerror - e00084f4 - unknown error"..... :(
Thank you and have a nice weekend ;)

CraigV
OK...reinstall your device drivers through the wizard in Backup Exec. Try again, and if you can post the error message in full...it makes it easier to see what's going wrong now. =)
Have a good weekend too!

CraigV
Hey dude,

Did you come right here?

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi CraigV!

>>>Did you come right here?
Until now i came right :) but yesterday i removed all tapes and put in new (empty) ones...

>>>OK...reinstall your device drivers through the wizard in Backup Exec.
I did so... All devices were working fine... since i put in new (empty) tapes into the changer. After that i told BE to initialize and inventory the changer (with the new tapes). that worked fine, too. But again i got the message library tape0 is corrupt/damaged/broken.... In the beginning of this thread i got messages about library tape0 AND library tape1, now it's only library tape0.... maybe the other error will follow later :D

>>>Try again, and if you can post the error message in full...it makes it easier to see what's going wrong now. =)
Full error message: "(Server: "ABC") Der Wechselmediendienst kann die Bibliothek Tape0 nicht verwalten. Die Datenbank ist beschädigt."

Thanks for your help ;)

CraigV
Do you possibly have bar-codes on those tapes?
How many drives does it have, and are you licensed if more than 2? BEWS will ship with a license to use 1 drive...the other won't work until licensed.
As an aside...I never initialize my libraries/autoloader once tapes are swopped out...just run an inventory.
Let me know!

magicpacket
Level 3
Yes, every tape has its own barcode. there are two drives in the changer. how can i see if BE is licensed for more than two drives?

magicpacket
Level 3
Hey, i found the licences option. There are no extra library expansion licences installed...

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Hi magicpacket,

I currently got a support case with symantec support open for the same error.

It always appears when starting the services on one MMS. (CASO environment with 2 MMS and 1 CAS)

If I get a solution, I will inform you.

But I have to tell you: this case is open for a long time now and it seems hard to find out, where this issue comes from. At the moment tech support thinks it could be a reservation conflict. But as the error also occurs, when all other mediaservers are offline, it's hard to believe that this really could be the reason.

CraigV
Hi Magicpacket,

OK...that could be your problem.
Under Help --> About Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers --> License Information...

...you will see an entry near the bottomw called Robotic Library Support. It will have licensed: Yes, and SHOULD have Installed: Yes as well. If not, then you need to purchase a license to use both drives.
Like I said, BEWS ships with a license for 1 drive only...any additional drives in a library need to be licensed.
I suspect that's your problem there.
You can try testing this by disabling 1 drive and running your inventory/backup again.

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi DominikG,
thanks for the info. Not nice to hear the case is open for a long time... Could you provide me the link for your thread?

My environment is only one server (Win Server 2003 Std SP2) on which BE12.5 is installed with it's last updates. Via SCSI the discchanger Scalar24 from Quantum (http://www.quantum.com/Products/TapeLibraries/Scal...) is connected to the server. In the discchanger there are two tapedrives..... In my opinion the problem could be related to the drivers - which BE brings with it - for the discchanger and/or the tapedrives. I also tried to manually install seperate drivers from the manufactures of the devices but that didn't make any thing better :(

magicpacket
Level 3
Hey CraigV,
sorry i didn't recognize your post.
There is an entry near the bottom called Robotic Library Support. Both columns, "Licensed" and "Installed" show "Yes". Does that mean that my Changer (Scalar24) in which there are TWO tapedrives is licensed (and isntalled) correctly? (Please have a look at this screenshot below)

The hole day long i tested the changer and its tapedrives, put them on and off, (un)installed their drivers again and again, restarted the server again and again and right now the inventory seems to work fine. I would say it's a problem with somedriver...... Maybe the drivers BE is installing for the devices are toooooo old???
I'll try out some backupjobs now...  Wish me the best ;)be125.JPG

CraigV
Hey man,

Only 3 other options I have here, and that's the following:

1. Update your drivers for BEWS, and then run the configuration wizard from within BEWS to install those new drivers.
2. Uninstall the device completely from BEWS, do the same in Device Manager in Windows, and turn everything off including the library. Disconnect the library's SCSI card, and then turn on the server. Let it boot...turn the server off, connect the library and turn it on, followed by the server and let Windows redetect it. From there install BEWS drivers again.
3. Use the manufacturer's drivers and see if that fixes it.

Let me know how it goes!

magicpacket
Level 3
Hi CraigV,
thank you. All the steps you describe I already did in the past, Again and again... Sometimes it works, othertimes not...

>>>Update your drivers for BEWS
Where/how do I update them?

And: You saw the screenshot - changer and tapedrives are correctly licensed, are they not?

Thanks ;)

CraigV
Hi,

Ja, they are correctly licensed...no issues there. Maybe look at removing the license for the library, restart the services and add them back in again (VERY loooooooong shot!).
For the driver installation, get the latest drivers for BEWS 12.5 SP3 here...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337510.htm

INstall that, and once done, open up Backup Exec, and go Tools --> Wizards --> Device Configuration Wizard and choose the option to install drivers. Follow the prompts after that.
I'd suggest restarting your services once done.

Laters!