cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

licenses needed for migration

Mjahtetn
Level 6

My customer  needs  to migrate SQL 2005 stand alone server to SQL 2008 Cluster, and migrate the SharePoint 2007 stand alone server to SharePoint 2010 Cluster.

I need the total number of SYMC Backup Exec Agents required for the two servers MS SQL Cluster, and for the two MS SharePoint 2010 Cluster servers,

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sazz, see

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11619

Requirements for installing Backup Exec on a Microsoft Cluster Server

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If its in cluster you are backing up the complete database (same database)so you need 1 SQL license and 1 sharepoint license.

If the would not have been in cluster then you need 1 license for each.

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Im sorry, but I dont know if I understand it correctly. IF its a cluster, I need one license for SQL and Sharepoint but if not?  Thanks

sksujeet
Level 6

If it is not in cluster then you need 1 license per server.

eg. if you have your 2 sql server both parth of cluster then you need 1 license.

If you have 2 different sql server and want to back them up then you need 2 sql licenses

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Alright. Thanks for the clarification.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

For a cluster, license depends on number of nodes. So, if it is a 2 node sql cluster, you need 2 SQL Agent license. If it is 2 node Exchange cluster, you need 2 Exchange Agent licenses. Same applies for Sharepoint agent, where licensing is based on web server. Although, if you have SHarepoint agent, you dont need to buy SQL Agent separately to protect Sharepoint databases. You need SQL Agent, if there are some other databases to be protected apart from Sharepoint databases.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks

sksujeet
Level 6

Hi All/Trusted advisor

Can you please shed some light on this please.

I had a word with licensing and tech from symantec and as per them you need only 1 license but to be frank they were not sure about it

Also in BE you backup the cluster node and not the individual exchange if its in cluster so as per my knowledge it should be 1 license.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sazz, see

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11619

Requirements for installing Backup Exec on a Microsoft Cluster Server

teiva-boy
Level 6

One important fact you missed..  It depends if it's an active cluster or active/passive.  

In an active/active, you need two licenses for a two-node cluster.  In a active/passive two-node cluster, you only need ONE application agent.  Using SQL or Exchange as an example there.

For Sharepoint, it's licensed PER farm.  It's possible you may separate roles broken out for your sharepoint farm...  

As an example...  you have a SQL back-end, an index server, and a front end web server.  That's 3 servers total.  The Sharepoint agent includes a RAWS and SQL license.  So you would have to just add two RAWS licenses to cover a 3 server SharePoint Farm (Web and Index servers).  

Have two web servers, an index server, and a SQL server for a single farm, than the licenses would be 1 sharepoint, and 3 RAWS.  Again, the Sharepoint agent comes with the SQL license and a RAWS license.

If you clustered the SQL servers, again, we get back to, is it an active/active or active/passive.  If the former, just add in one more SQL agent and done.  

sksujeet
Level 6

Thanks Ken for the article and teiva-boy for explanining it.

The article has it all

An individually licensed copy of Backup Exec for Windows Servers, as well as any applicable agents and options, is required for each active node in the cluster as defined in the End User License Agreement. When installing an evaluation version of Backup Exec, a cluster environment is automatically detected and license keys are not required.

Mjahtetn
Level 6

Hi Ken,

Is tha above article also applicable to SQL and Sharepoint?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Yes

"as well as any applicable agents and options