cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

licenses question

Shahin
Level 6

We have bought a new tap library to replace the old one. currently we are using the BE 15 and perpetual licenses

My understaing is that the BE is not working anymore with backup agents and we cannot buy anymore agents for our new servers.

Is this correct regarding all version of BE? or it is only for BE 20? 

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Backup agents are certainly still available.

Please see the latest BE Licensing Guide: 
 https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/BE203_Licensing_Guide
(Links to older versions here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100032497.html   )

Page 3: 

Backup Exec Licensing and Packaging Overview
Licensing for Backup Exec has been consolidated into three editions: Bronze, Silver and Gold and can be
licensed as either Perpetual or Subscription. Custom Edition (à la carte licensing) is still available as Perpetual for both new and renewing customers

Please take note that BE 15 reached EOSS on November 7, 2017. EOSL on November 7, 2019.
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038900.html

So, best to upgrade ASAP. 

Thanks for the reply,

Previously we could buy an Agent and backup whatever amount of data we would on that server, but now my understading is that we  have to purchase licenses for the amount of front-end data and this is the only way to get licenses is this true for BE 16 as well?

Marianne

No. As per my previous post - Agent-based licenses can still be purchased.
Nobody is forced to buy capacity licenses.
I have posted links to the licensing guides - please check it out? 

I remember that 2 years ago my resellers told us that this soort of licesnes is not availble anymore, maybe we should looking to a different resellers

Symantec Backup Exec 15 Agent For Windows Win

Marianne

@Shahin 

You may want to show your reseller the licensing guide. 

We quote on BE agents (like the one in your example) on a daily basis. 

If you are a Corporate customer, this will be your SKU on the current Veritas pricelist:

13131-M0008 BACKUP EXEC AGENT FOR WIN 1 SERVER ONPREMISE STANDARD LICENSE + ESSENTIAL MAINTENANCE BUNDLE INITIAL 12MO CORPORATE

Thanks for your reply,

Just one more question,

My weekly full backup is at 10TB If I buy  Backup Exec Capacity Edition 10TB silver  for my quantum library would it be enough? or I need 4x 10TB to have 4 weekly backups.

my understadening is that the10TB is enough becuase we pay for amount of data we backup and not how many time we run the backup on our 10TB data. am I right?

Thanks

Marianne

@Shahin 

Correct. Capacity License is based on 'Front End Terabyte'. 

As per the Licensing Guide: 

‘Front-end terabyte’ (FETB) is defined as the size of the protected, uncompressed data (i.e. data that has not been deduplicated). A full FETB definition can be found on the Veritas website.
Download the Veritas Capacity Assessment Tool to calculate the amount of data, in TB, on the servers in an environment to provide information about the number of licenses needed to protect these servers.

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your reply,

If I undrstood this correctly, the BE check the job history in past 30 days to see how many TB data is protected and not how many time a protected data has been backup. am I right?

For example if I have a 5 TB license I can backup the same 5 TB data on my servers as many times I want, correct?

Thanks.