cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

long time reads in deduplication storage

alexey107
Level 4

Hi.
I test new Backup Exec 15 installed on windows 2012 R2.
I have strange behavior of BE using dedulication storage.
I noticed, when used capacity of my DEDUP storage exceed 65GB i have spoold.exe process reading all *.bin files in "S:\BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder\data" folder recursively. It starts reading from the first bin file to the last bin file then it begins this process again and again, for ex 64.bin to 342.bin. This process never ends.

Details:
i have four backup jobs using Agent for vMware with four different server: testjob1, testjob2, testjob3, testjob4. I start them one by one and see what happen:
testjob1 completed -> used storage space 15GB -> no read

testjob2 completed -> used storage space 30GB -> no read

testjob3 completed -> used storage space 45GB -> no read

testjob4 completed -> used storage space 66GB -> it starts reading that never ends.

If i create and start new testjob5 of the server that have never been backedup, it stops reading for a time of backup job.

What does he do by endless reading???

2 REPLIES 2

alexey107
Level 4

Additionaly.
I would not noticed this if reading process didn't consume so much throughput: average, disk read bytes/sec = 100 MB/sec.

_itsupport_
Level 1

We have the same Issue:

Constant reads of the *.bin files in \BackupExecDeduplicationStorageFolder\data which is about 134 MB/s.

The backups on this server are less than 100GB in size at the moment, which should be read in under 15 Minutes all in all at this speed. Also there is only one job a day (backing up the OS of this Testserver)

So: what is Backup Exec doing here and why does it kill my disks like that?