cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrate DB

Shahin
Level 6

Hi,
Is it possible to migrate the BE 15 database and import it in BE 16? if it is possible what are the correct steps?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Whilst you can migrate it - it is not an import (merge)  it is a complete replace activity so I hope you have not already been running lots of jobs etc in BE 16.

Of course an in-place upgrade would handle it for you but if changing servers you may need to research how to use BEMIG.exe (and make sure you copy the catalogs as well as the BEDB)

Hi colin
Thanks for replay
the BE 16 has not many job that is why we want to use the BE 15 DB.
we already follow the nececery steps and copy the catalog folder to the new server with BE 16 also we copy BEX files to the data folder after dat we used the beutility.exe to copy the db of BE 15 but at the 100%compelition get the error that can not start the sql service.
question:
In de data folder of the new server we see DBED_dat.bak and DBED_log.bak can we use these 2 files to bring the failed BE 16 up and running? Or a new install should perform?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I believe those 2 BAK files relate to a blank databases that is used when reloading from base (if you use that option) If I am correct you might want to keep offloen copies of them but should leave the BE 16 ones alone

BEDB.BAK is the one the gets created at 04:00 (default timings every day) but can be created at any time using BEUTILITY to Dump Database. This is the backup of your actual database so make sure you keep a copy of the current BE16 one (assuming it is working) as well as  a copy of your BE 15 one just to cover if things go wrong

Oh and I forgot something very important when moving the BEDB, you need the DEK file for the new security encryption. (again keep the BE 16 one as well as the BE 15 one just in case) - don't rename DEK files or if you do make sure you know how to name them back to original names.

Thank you again
you mean we can use the DBED.bak to restore the failed BE16? how can we do it?
Also when we use the beutility.exe to copy db in both prompt we choose
DBED_dat.mdf and DBED_.log_ldf
from the dsta folder of BE15does these 2files the correct one?
Thanks
I would like to add that the new server has different name.
when we try to connect to BE 16 after login get an error that say
TCP Error 10061 no connection could made the target machine actively refuse 10.0.0.10:50104.
also application log says service canot be started because of database schema mismatch.