cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration backup exec 2010 r2

vdvas
Level 3

hi.

I migrate backup exec 2010 r2 from windows server 2008 r2 to another same version server.

All windows update and backup exec update are installed before migration.

I follow the instruction on the site.

But after migration i get error when i started the service "backup exec server"

The Backup Exec Server Service detected a schema version mismatch

The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (-536813108)  occurred in object 1

i use bemig and start the service again, but got the error.

I tried to restore BE to another server and got the same problem.

Can anybody help me?

29 REPLIES 29

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you install the exact same version of BE on the new server, i.e. BE 2010 R2 ?

This usually occurs if a newer version of BE is installed on the new server and older DB is used. If you have a backup of the existing DB, stop all BE services, open a cmd and browse to the BE directory. Run the following command. Once the command completes successfully, try to restart all BE services and check.

bemig

vdvas
Level 3

Yes, on new server installed BE 2012 R2.

VJware
Level 6

Would you open the BE executable and provide me the exact same version ? Thanks.

Secondly, open a cmd and browse to the BE directory. Run the following command and attach the output:

beserver.exe -console

vdvas
Level 3

see attach

vdvas
Level 3

VJware
Level 6

Open a cmd and browse to the BE directory and run the following command:-

bemig

Does this complete successfully ? If yes, are you able to restart all BE services successfully ?

vdvas
Level 3

I ran this command before and it did not give effect.

VJware
Level 6

The bemig seems to have completed successfully. Are you receiving the same error after running bemig and restarting all BE services (including the SQL instance) ?

If yes, would you list the exact steps which you took to migrate BE server over ? (Specifically the steps regarding the BEDB)

And is the new server name or different ?

vdvas
Level 3

I use this instruction

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

describe all the steps it is very long
I was confused by the fact that the command
SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition
gave me a blank

I could not migrate .*BKF data because they are stored on another device and shared.

Name of old and new servers are different.

VJware
Level 6

In a nutshell, follow these steps instead:

1) Install same version of BE on the new server.

2) Do not launch the console and stop all BE services including the SQL instance.

3) Rename the newly created Data & Catalog folders to something else such as Data_Old, Catalogs_Old and paste the Data & Catalogs folder which were copied from the old BE server install.

4) Start only the SQL instance and not the BE services.

5) Open a cmd (using elevated rights) and run the following commands to update the server name in the DB:-

Sqlcmd -E -S servername\BKUPEXEC

Use bedb
<Press enter>
Type go
<Press enter>
SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition
<Press enter>
Type go
<Press enter>

The old server name should be listed.

UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName='<new server name>' WHERE PartitionID =0
<Press enter>
Type go
<Press enter>

Exit from the cmd. Backup the registry and then delete the Adamm\MachineGuid key.

6) Now start all BE services.

vdvas
Level 3

5)

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>Sqlcmd -E -S srv-bckp-kuba\BKUPEXEC
1> use bedb
2> go
Changed database context to 'BEDB'.
1> SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition
2> go
partitionname

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------

(0 rows affected)
1> UPDATE DataPartition SET PartitionName='srv-bckp-kuba' WHERE PartitionID =0
2> go

(0 rows affected)
1> SELECT partitionname FROM datapartition
2> go
partitionname

---------------

(0 rows affected)
1> quit

6) I get same error then start service backupexec.

Maybe problem in partition name in sql what name of instanse on old server is MSSQLSERVER? instanse name on new server - BKUPEXEC.

VJware
Level 6

Do you still have the old BE media server available ?

If yes, it would be easier to move over to the default SQL instance and then perform the migration. This KB can be used for moving the SQL instance - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH37752

vdvas
Level 3

I start beutility on new server.

select my server.

choose New Backup Exec database location 

cureny instanse SRV-BCKP-KUBA\BKUPEXEC

new instanse SRV-BCKP-KUBA\MSSQLSERVER

sql instanse on old server is srv-fs2-kuba\mssqlserver

I get error

Изменить расположение базы данных Backup Exec
Не удалось получить доступ к ключу реестра на выбранном сервере SRV-BCKP-KUBA, чтобы узнать номер версии SQL Server.
Операция по переносу базы данных Backup Exec в экземпляр SQL Server SRV-BCKP-KUBA выполнена с ошибками.

I use russian language on server

Translate this error

Change the location of the Backup Exec database
Failed to access the registry key for the selected server SRV-BCKP-KUBA, to check the version SQL Server.
The operation to transfer the Backup Exec database to an instance of SQL Server SRV-BCKP-KUBA is unsuccessful.

VJware
Level 6

Is MSSQLSERVER the new instance on the new server ?

vdvas
Level 3

Curent (old) instance on the new server is BKUPEXEC

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should move the BEDB on the old server from the SQLSERVER instance to the BKUPEXEC instance and then migrate the database to the new server using the BKUPEXEC instance.

There is no point in migrating the BEDB from the BKUPEXEC instance to the SQLSERVER instance on the new server.

vdvas
Level 3

well, my action steps

1) On old server change sql instanse from MSSQLSERVER to BCKPEXEC using beutility.exe.

2) Migrate data and catalog folders from old server to new server.

3) Start all services on new servers.

Right?

VJware
Level 6

Pretty much yes. You'll have to also update the BEDB with the new server name. Follow the steps which I had posted earlier.

vdvas
Level 3

On old server I get error

Изменить расположение базы данных Backup Exec
Не удалось получить доступ к ключу реестра на выбранном сервере SRV-BCKP-KUBA, чтобы узнать номер версии SQL Server.
Операция по переносу базы данных Backup Exec в экземпляр SQL Server SRV-BCKP-KUBA выполнена с ошибками.

Translate this error

Change the location of the Backup Exec database
Failed to access the registry key for the selected server SRV-BCKP-KUBA, to check the version SQL Server.
The operation to transfer the Backup Exec database to an instance of SQL Server SRV-BCKP-KUBA is unsuccessful.