cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new tape is overwrite protected? huh?

Bkeith
Level 3
 Why do my new tapes become overwrite protected when I put it into my "Full" media set (3 weeks, not appendable).  It is using Backup exec 10 on a Dell Powervault 132t.  LTO2 tapes.
(I can't write to it until 3 weeks after the allocation date which is the date I inserted the tape).  I would think they would be writeable off the bat since they are blank.  How would I get them to write once inserted without changing the properties of the "Full" media set to something like 1 hour overwrite protection?

It doesn't happen on my other server:  BUExec 10 on a Qualstar 8433 using LTO3 tapes.  On this server it is automatically "overwriteable"  The full media set is configured the same as above. Any help please

Keith
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5

hi keith,

I think you are messed of something. Have a look if below advises helpe you.

When you label a tape, it is placed in the scratch Media set, and is thus available for any job.

When you move any tape into a media set, it immediately takes on all properties of the new media set (OPP and APP) as of the time it is moved. If the OPP is three weeks, it will be three weeks before it can be written to, even if you just labeled it 5 minutes ago.

Label your tapes and let BE move them from scratch into the media set defined for whatever job pulls them.

If you are worried that a weekly job will pull a daily tape, set up partitions and change your jobs to point to them rather that "All Pools" or the library itself.

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/206843.htm

Harry

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
When you insert new tapes into the library make sure to leave them in the Scratch Media media set, otherwise they will take on the properties of the media set they are moved to.  After a job runs that uses the tape it will take on the properties of the media set specified in the job so that you do not have to manually move them into the media set.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you are moving newly inventoried tapes into the media set, they take on all properties of that set as of the time of the move

This includes the OPP and APP times.   What you should do is inventory the tapes, but leave them in the Scratch media set.  Let BackupExec  move them into the appropriate media set when they are opened by the job

THarry
Level 5

hi keith,

I think you are messed of something. Have a look if below advises helpe you.

When you label a tape, it is placed in the scratch Media set, and is thus available for any job.

When you move any tape into a media set, it immediately takes on all properties of the new media set (OPP and APP) as of the time it is moved. If the OPP is three weeks, it will be three weeks before it can be written to, even if you just labeled it 5 minutes ago.

Label your tapes and let BE move them from scratch into the media set defined for whatever job pulls them.

If you are worried that a weekly job will pull a daily tape, set up partitions and change your jobs to point to them rather that "All Pools" or the library itself.

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/206843.htm

Harry