cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no idle devices

Fernando_Ortega
Level 2
On a new Backup Exec 10d installation after all the initial setups has been performed, no media operation can be done, and message "... no idle devices ready..." appears in the monitor.

The device is a Tanberg LTO2 stand alone drive.

The last tapedevicedriver.exe has been used to install the driver.

NO SSO or CASO.

Backup to disk works perfectly

Cannot inventory and options for labeling or import media are not actives.

I�ve read a few articles in knowledge base but none applies to this case

Any idea on this?

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

"Cannot inventory and options for labeling or import media are not actives." - You mean the options of "inventory" and "label" are greyed out..?

Right click on the device -try to "disable" the device and then try "deleting" it...

Restart the Backup Exec services and check whether the same problem persists.

What happens if you run a backup to Backup to Disk folder?

Is the same message shown in "job monitor"...?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Alfonso_Bravo
Level 3
Partner Certified
Actually inventory and eject are the only option I can select, all the others are grey out.
But even if I try to eject a tape the monitor show the "...no idle device ..." messages.

This happens with any job runing against the drive (backups included).

As I said in the first post, backup to disk folder works fine.

After doing what you suggested, and reinstalling again the device drivers (tried with both veritas and tandberg) and rebooting the server, everything keeps the same.

I've got the same hardware configuration working in another box (same software as well).

Fernando_Ortega
Level 2
Actually inventory and eject are the only option I can select, all the others are grey out.
But even if I try to eject a tape the monitor show the "...no idle device ..." messages.

This happens with any job runing against the drive (backups included).

As I said in the first post, backup to disk folder works fine.

After doing what you suggested, and reinstalling again the device drivers (tried with both veritas and tandberg) and rebooting the server, everything keeps the same.

I've got the same hardware configuration working in another box (same software as well).

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check whether there are any error in event logs related to the device?

Event id's 9 or 11 specifically.

if there any event is please contact hardware manufacturer for more details on this
Please see the microsoft KB article on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q154690

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.