cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no printers

Richard_Thornbe
Not applicable
Installed network printers not being recognized. "Target Printer" drop down list is empty when trying to add a recipient printer. "Print" is grayed-out on File menu. Works fine in previous versions. Server is WIN2K server sp4. Thanks.
36 REPLIES 36

Roel
Level 3
Where can we find the build 7110. I have dowload all updates from liveupdate but i have build 6235. Our must i reboot the server firsqt after an update.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Trialware is the same code as the licensed product, just add your v11d serials  Smiley Tongue

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
It looks like there are 2 queries that occur to determine first the default printer, then the other printers availble.  The default printer is in HKCU\software\microsoft\windows NT\currentversion\windows\device but then Backup Exec talks to the spooler service to see what is available.  The spooler looks in HKCU\printers\connections for what printers are available and probably checks the printer connection.  I found this with build 6235 and regmon... Can somebody try this to see if something is not being found during these queries?? 

Russ

Roel
Level 3
Russ,

I have check it and by the windows there are all my printers i have installed but by the connections there is only the the default with no value. What must i try to do.

Richard_Thorn1
Level 3
6235 with all available updates.

Roel
Level 3
Is there any solution for this problem because it's neccesary for our management. I have check Russ his question.

Richard_Thorn1
Level 3
Russ, the printer we need to print to is the deafult printer. It appears in both keys you referenced, but BE isn't seeing it.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
The next thing to do is to run regmon on the BE server while you are performing steps to add new printer recipient... That may be a little much to post here so I recommend you could open a support case to get to the next steps... 

Russ

Roel
Level 3
Russ,

I can't open a support case only a personal case because i don't have a support contract.

Hemmer
Level 3
Has anyone gotten printers to show up yet? If so what was the fix? Thanks

Roel
Level 3
Hemmer,

No answer for the moment

Hemmer
Level 3
Where are you at with the research of this issue? It still doesn't work for me but I was reading elsewhere on the form that someone actually got it to work. I believe the thread was titled printer configuration. It didn't have that much information but the user was trying to get it to print in landscape or portrait but at least it was printing the report.

Stephen_Mulhern
Level 2
I have a support contract and do not show any printers listed in the dropdown box to add a printer receipent. How do I setup a case

Hemmer
Level 3
I to have a support contract and have a case opened now for 2 days with no answer or contact from Symantec so I guess that was a waste of money to have support. If I get any answers I'll post. To open the case I had to call and open it with them. I got the number off the website.

Hemmer
Level 3
Here is the scoop on the network printers not being recognized. After opening a case with Symantec, I have found out according to their techs, that with the new version of BE they took that feature away. So the only way to print your notifications is to have a printer physically attached to the server you are running this product on. If you need the reports printed as I do for audit purposes you must set up your email notifications and then print the emails, if you don't set up a locally attached printer. The Tech was nice enough to send me a link to an enhancement site of things I would like to have on the next version or fix but I maybe just a little drop in the ocean where my requests are never seen from again.

If I find out any more I'll post but that is all I have for the moment.

JustTech
Not applicable
Ok, here is the answer:

From Printer/Faxes, set up a new LOCAL printer. Meaning: not an attached printer. When setting the printer up, select new port and then Standard TCP/IP port, enter the IP address of the network printer you want to use.
You may need the drivers to load, so have them ready. Follow the remaining screens to complete the printer setup. Go back into the BUE Manager and follow the directions to send the notice to the printer. The printer should now show in the drop down. Make sure you then go to Tools/assign recep to alert cats and under each cat you want a report place a check in the printer box.

Good luck   

Hemmer
Level 3
That would be to correct answer if the software would allow that have tried that back a few pages of this post. I have placed a printer in the offsite location so that I can print my reports. It is the only way I could get it to work. Thanks for playing fix someone elses issues.Smiley Happy