cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not able to label media

robin23
Level 4

Hi

i have a problem with labeling media; if i do a right-click on a tape and select "label media" a job is created and started but after finishing the label still says "NO_LABEL". i have no idea what else to try...

the tapes do not have a barcode so i need them to be labeled.

some information to my environment:

Software:     Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 all updates installed with "Live Update"

Server OS:   Windows Server 2008 Standard x64 SP2

Tape Drive:  Quantum Scalar i80 newest firmware

hope i forgot nothing... :)

thanks for your help

15 REPLIES 15

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

When you do quick erase does it goes through & if it works fine label should be there for that respective tape

Please try & let me know

Thank You

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi robin23,

BE has the feature of labeling media automatically. Generally when a backup operation performed on a blank or unlabeled media BE automatically labels media.

If you are labeling media manualy and moving media manually into a media set, it is not recommended to do that. If want some particular media to be used for particular jobs, look at tape library partitioning.

Regards...

robin23
Level 4

hey

first of all thanks for your reply.

i did a quick erase without any effect. after the quick erase i tried again "label media" but didnt work...

robin23
Level 4

Hey Kiran

ok i will try, i created a job which uses the mediaset the tapes are associated with. the job finishes in about 3 hours, will give feedback if BE labeled the tapes

thanks

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Is you tape drive running on the latest Symantec Drivers ?

Make sure you have installed the altest symantec drivers for the Drive .

robin23
Level 4

hey

where can i find my installed driverversion? "tools" - "configure devices" - "configure tape devices" - "install tape device drivers" there is the option "use symantec tape drivers for all supported devices" but no driver version

thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi robin23,

No need to move the tapes manually into a media set. And also it is not recommended to do like that.

What you have to do is just create a job and associate with a media set. If that media set contains any media to perform backups, BE will use those. Otherwise it will mve tapes from the SCRATCH to a particular media set for the first time. Later BE will use recyclable meia in the same media set/other media sets/ SCRATCH media depending the settings specified by you.

Regards...

robin23
Level 4

Hi Kiran

i tried your suggestion without success. what i did was creating a job and associating it with a mediaset. all erased tapes were in the "scratch media". the job completed successfully, but the label still says "NO_LABEL"

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You can find the driver version in the Device manger .

FYI---The following methods are available in Backup Exec to change a media label:

• Label Media operation. Writes a new media label on the media. This write operation destroys any data on the media. This option is available on the Devices view.

• Rename operation. Changes the name of the media in the display, but does not write the new label to the media until an overwrite operation occurs. The data on the media is viable until the media is overwritten.

• Edit the label in the media’s property page. Editing the label changes the name of the media in the display, but does not write the new label to the media until an overwrite operation occurs. The data on the media is viable until the media is overwritten.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Robin23,

Any news here?

Is your media got automatically labeled?

If your issue got resolved, can you please close the discussion by marking solution?

Regards..

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Try the Rename/Edit operation on the media. It will change the media name in the display and will not write the new label to the media untill it is overwritten. Till that time the data on the media will be available.

Regards..

oithim_yew
Level 3

hi, i have the same issue too, same BE version and same autoloader. Tried to label/rename the media (not going to use barcode) and when i do an inventory, it all went missing (labelled as No_Label). When I tried on the media descriptions, it wil be there even if I did inventory but it will be gone after i did a backup on the media. tested on the other autoloader connected to this backup server, no issue........only this Quantum autoloader is giving us a headache.

dnewell
Not applicable

Hi,

Did anyone come up with a fix for this issue?  I have the same BE version as well as a Quantum Scalar i40. I have an older Quantum autoloader that works fine.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

With three of you with the same setup, sounds like a compatibility problem?

I've set the support flag to draw the attention of the Symantec Techs

In the mean time, are you using Symantec drivers?  Have you tried manufacturer's drivers

Mikey_G
Not applicable

I spent hours(3) on support with Symantec then contacted Quantum to get this respones in about 10 minutes...

According to Quantum  " Barcode labels are a requirement on the Scalar I80 library." I applied barcode labels and now barcode and media label are the same number the red light with the "!" mark on library also went out with application of barcodes. There should have been a set of barcode labels with new library numbered 1 to 100.

Mikey_G