cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offline tape

SFPandora
Level 4
Hello,
I'm using backup exec 12.5 for small business server. I noticed that my tapes are always seen as offline since some backup process start. Is it normal? Is there a way to see a tape online without starting a backup process?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Stand-alone = a single drive. So it only has a single-slot, and you have to change tapes manually all the time. This is only attached via SCSI.

Library/autoloader = 1 or more drives in an enclosure that tapes more than 1 tape. For eg: HP StorageWorks MSL2024 G3 is a 24 slot library, with 1 or 2 drives. It allows you to pump in a number of tapes, and minimizes the number of times you change them. This can be attached via SCSI or Fibr Channel.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Not quite sure what you mean, but look under Media in Backup Exec. You will see your Media Sets, and under those you will see Retired Media, Scratch Media, and if you go into your Media Sets, you will see the status: Online, Offline, Scratch etc.
You are also able to associate your tapes with specific media by right-clicking the tape, and choosing Associate With Media Set.
If this isn't what you're looking for, can you explain a bit more?
Thanks!

SFPandora
Level 4
Yes, sorry. I mean that they appear as offline in the media sets section. When a process starts it changes section. Is there a way to insert a snapshot? maybe could be clearer....

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you have a library or just a stand alone tape drive connected to your server - as tapes contained in a library will show as online as long as a scan or inventory is run and the tapes have not been exported. 

A stand alone tape drive can only show one tape as being online at a time, but if the last job on the drive ended with an eject than I believe no tapes will show online until an inventory is run - or a job starts.

nia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
 Hi,

Colin is correct. If you use a stand alone tape drive, only the used tape for each backup job would be online. Every other tape used for older backup jobs will be appeared as offline until they will be inserted to the tape drive again.

Regards,

SFPandora
Level 4
I'm sorry but I' m new with Backup exec and I'm using the italian version. Can you define "library"? Is a way to catalogue tapes or something physical I need to let the software use more tapes without manual inserting them?

CraigV
Stand-alone = a single drive. So it only has a single-slot, and you have to change tapes manually all the time. This is only attached via SCSI.

Library/autoloader = 1 or more drives in an enclosure that tapes more than 1 tape. For eg: HP StorageWorks MSL2024 G3 is a 24 slot library, with 1 or 2 drives. It allows you to pump in a number of tapes, and minimizes the number of times you change them. This can be attached via SCSI or Fibr Channel.

SFPandora
Level 4
Ok, thank you very much, I have a  single driver, so you gave me the answer in the first post.