Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open bkf files

Roxbip
Level 2

hi,

i have backup exec 2010. 

there is a way to open a bkf file with backup exec 2010 so i can take a file from it?

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If backup exec does not know this BKF file exists , then you have to place the file in the folder for a disk stotage device (B2D in old terms)

Then run an inventory and catalog job on the disk storage device to get the information about the BKF into Backup Exec.

Then in the Backup Exec Console "Backup and Restore" section you should see an object representing the original server that was backed up which then gives you the restore option and a wizard to help find the individual files.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It is not like double-click and open! Do a restore of that bkf (single file can be selected) from within BE.

Roxbip
Level 2

sorry i'm new with this.

if i do restore it will overwrite the file?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You mean to say the existing file in original location?

You can redirect the restore to different location from original, so that the original file will not get overwritten.

See this TN for detailed procedure: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5822

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If backup exec does not know this BKF file exists , then you have to place the file in the folder for a disk stotage device (B2D in old terms)

Then run an inventory and catalog job on the disk storage device to get the information about the BKF into Backup Exec.

Then in the Backup Exec Console "Backup and Restore" section you should see an object representing the original server that was backed up which then gives you the restore option and a wizard to help find the individual files.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you cannot catalog this .bkf file, then it is probably not written by BE.

jamesmark
Not applicable

Don’t worry about this corruption problem, because I have already faced such type problem. That time I searched much recovery software but did not get any positive response from that. But once time I have found admirable or highly sophisticated MS BKF recovery software which recover or extract corrupt backup files from annoying situations. With helps it application you can read or open your all unread or inaccessible BKF files without facing any critical conditions. Apart from that, in this software has included various functionality for MS BKF recovery like deep, quick, and ranged base scanning procedures. http://www.bkfrecovery.net/backup-exec-bkf-restore