cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with speed tape backup exec and Tandberg Data

Lendax
Level 3

Hello everyone,

I have a big problem and i did'nt find a similar problem like mine on the web so i'm go here to maybe find a solution thanks to you !

My problem is :

The speed save on my tape is very very slow, maximum 20mo/min (YES MO/MIN AND NO MO/SEC) and often 3-5 mo/min,

Backup exec is installed on a Proliant DL380p Gen 8 with Windows Server 2008 R2,

My Storage loader is a Tandberg Data LTO 4 and the reader inside is a HP Ultrium SCSI 4

I asked some help to symantec but he didn't find anything in software side,

I asked some help to Tandberg and he changed my entire storage loader (with reader),

But i again have the same problem ... I'm desperate.

Any ideas ?

12 REPLIES 12

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What is the version of Backup Exec ? Is it fully patched as well ?

If using any antivirus, have you added exclusions for Backup Exec processes ?

Are you using Microsoft driver for the changer and Symantec driver for the tape drive ?

Lastly, what speed do you receive when you backup to disk ?

Lendax
Level 3

Thanks VJware for your answer,

The version of my Backup exec is 2012 rev 14 1798

I use Microsoft Security Essentials so i guess it's not a problem with the possibly blocking of Backup Exec (but maybe i'm wrong)

I use the HP Driver for my ISCSI Card (hp ultra320 scsi) and i used Symantec Backup Exec for the driver of Tape drive.

I tried a save on disk and no problem, the speed is 13000Mo/min.

VJware
Level 6

Use Microsoft driver for your changer. Run vendor diagnostics against your tape drive to ensure that everything is fine. Consider cleaning the tape drive as well.

Lendax
Level 3

I used symantec driver but i think it was the problem, even if i uninstall it, i have the same problem with the HP Driver.

How can i install de microsoft driver for the tape reader ?

VJware
Level 6

Right-click on the changer from the Device Manager and choose Update Driver. From the wizard, choose the option “Browse my computer for driver software”, and then “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”. Choose the “Unknown Medium Changer” and click Next and complete the install wizard. Reboot if prompted to.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Can you post your adamm.log file please?  that will help clarify some things.

What HBA are you using?  Make sure it is not a RAID HBA, unless it is one of the few that are supported.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

Support policy for Host-Bus-Adapters that feature RAID

Lendax
Level 3

VJware, 

The driver of my changer is already unknow medium changer ... So the problem is not here.

Thanks

Larry Fine

My HBA is http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3106178/mfg_partno/412911-B21

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

My HBA is http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/3106178/mfg_partno/412911-B21

HP states that it is good for tape, although I don't see any tape devices listed in the compatibility section.  HP states that it is not a RAID HBA, so it should be fine.

Lendax
Level 3

What do you mean ? I have an hardware not compatible with Symantec ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

That HBA is compatible with the MSL2024 G3 and 1/8 G2 autoloaders from HP. I know because we have specified this in the past and never had an issue with it.

Symantec doesn't publish support for HBAs, be they FC or SCSI or SAS. They publish support for the end product...essentially disk, tape etc.

As things stand, here is the link to the QuickSpecs where it clearly lists (under Related Options) what drives and units are supported:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&doci...

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Tandberg should have a tape utility you can download and run against the drive. Make sure you run a diagnostic test and write test.

That said, also make sure that the SCSI card has the latest firmware installed, and if need-be, upgrade the firmware on the library. Lastly make sure that the cable used is not faulty.

Thanks!

Lendax
Level 3

Ok i will test these different issues,

I just reformated my server to have a clean installation.