cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Access Denied" error when BE tries to back up RECYCLER folders and fonts.

mbenton
Not applicable
When backing up full volumes on my server, job fails with the following errors:

Access denied to directory RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1956189819-1215256831-765488018-500\. Error reading security data stream.

Access denied to file WINDOWS\Fonts\coursys.ttf. Error reading security data stream.

WARNING: "C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\coursys.ttf" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

Unable to open the item C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\verdanase.ttf - skipped.

The windows Event Viewer shows the following:

Error querying extended attributes (EAs) for the following file:
C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\coursys.ttf

The operating system returned an unusual error while backing up the following file:
It is possible that this file is incomplete and therefore should not be restored.

Error querying security information (ACLs) for the following file:

The operating system returned an unusual error while backing up the extended attributes or security information for the following directory:
C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1956189819-1215256831-765488018-500
This problem does not prevent the directory's contents from being successfully backed up.

If I try to delete the coursys.ttf file, it just comes back. The Recycle Bin is empty, as are the folders under RECYCLER. There are no third party applications attached to either the Recycle Bin or its hidden folders.

The backup otherwise completes fine, but this is causing me IDR headaches. This problem seemed to appear out of nowhere, for no reason I can discern. Ideas?

Running Backup Exec 12 with SQL Server Agent and five remote agents, all of which are running on Windows Server 2003 SP2.
4 REPLIES 4

TankMurdoch
Level 3
Accredited
I have a very similar error appearing when trying to backup some word docs,  Error reading security data stream. None of which are being accessed, no security on them etc.....
Any help much appreciated

TankMurdoch
Level 3
Accredited
forgot to mention that these files were on a remote SBS2008 server

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I'd remove the folder for the Recycler from backups, as well as the fonts. Not too bothered about those.
Are you using the Advanced Open File Option?

TankMurdoch
Level 3
Accredited
No advanced open file option installed, this is one of our customer's servers and they are very tight with cash. I am tempted just to deselect the docs from the backup but as fate would have it they would need them restored the day after I do that!!