cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Backup Exec Settings -> Virtual Machines" menu is not available in BE15 FP3/FP4

pj-itonline
Level 2

Hi, we are having an issue with Backup Exec Settings menu option Virtual Machines that is missing.

Therefore are we unable to change "Faster processing method" to "Standard processing method". as regards article about Hyper-V VMs with snapshots not being deleted after BE job has finished. https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000100786

I see that Help and BE Admin Guide are refering to "Virtual Machines" option in Backup Exec Settings, but it is not available on two our BE servers, one running BE15 FP3, the other BE15 FP4 (upgraded from FP3), both having Small Business Edition license.

Is there some PowerShell command to change Faster processing method for Standard for Hyper-V Virtual Machines?

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I just checked and my BE 15 Fp4 install on SBS 2011 does show the Virtual Machines Option - as such suggest you log a formal support case for us to look into why yours does not.

Colin_Weaver

As an aside whilst I am not sure why my test server seem to work, the SBE Edition (license bundle) is now discontinued (EOL) and customers should now be swicthing to Capacity Lite which might solve your problem. If you have maintenance then please speak to Customer Care about Capacity Lite licenses and review the migration options in our licensing guide at http://www.veritas.com/docs/000024885

pj-itonline
Level 2

Colin, before I go further to support case, do you know PowerShell / BEMCLI command that could change these settings? I see that this should be possible as mentioned in "Extra information" in the article I reffer to originaly. (http://www.veritas.com/docs/000100786

Moopere-P
Level 3

Good luck pj-itonline. 

I just had to reinstall my SBE v15 of BE because of this issue.  I still find it staggering that 1) The product at FP3 level included a 'gee whiz' feature that was going to seriously impact all production servers exposed to it, and 2) After discovering the obvious error, that there was not a way to back out of it.  The instructions provided simply don't work for certain customers (re: SBE owners).

I won't be upgrading BE again, at any site, unless there is a serious problem with an installation that is identified as having been fixed by a FP.  Its just too painful and costly to do so.

MoopereM
Level 3

Oh, and by the by, I even hacked the BE database settings and still couldn't revert back to correct behaviour - thus the need to reinstall.

Colin_Weaver

Powershell does not cover all aspects of BE installation and use - as such if there is nothign in the Powershell help file it probably cannot be done.

Colin_Weaver

Apparently if you remove all the BE licenses (including deleting the SLF files from beneath C:\ProgramData...) and then add the virtual agnet into the trialware section (completing the instal wizard like this) , if you then add the license/slf back into the install it will shows the options.

However As Backup Exec SBE is now and end of life licensing package you should consider swapping over to Capacity Lite

Moopere-P
Level 3

Hi Colin,

Appreciate your thoughts on this issue.  Came 2 days too late for me (ahh!), can you believe it?  I reinstalled SBE v15 day before yesterday and it was a PITA.  Exported the old jobs ok, but got multiple errors trying to restore them.  Realised I was quickly going down the rabbit hole on that one and just recreated all the jobs by teasing through the exported powershell jobs from the old install.

Anyway, I'm sure your post will help multitudes of folks - so thanks again.

I'm now on SBE v15 FP4 and its all good.  No more differencing disks on the VM's - happy again.

* Incidently, I'm sure switching over to the Capacity lite is the company line that must be taken and for new entrants that are SBE there won't be any choice with the BE family, but for existing customers ... well, it would be a questionable decision unless those customers are extremely tiny.  Most of mine are on the 'S" side of SMB but unless I make backup decisions that will later make _my_ life uncomfortable (as the IT admin) then keeping front end backup size under 1TB is not so easy. 

1TB was all that was offered as a crossgrade whilst under maintenance from SBE ...