cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Configure Disk Storage" job never finishes

mesaeqp
Level 2

I'm installing brand new licenses of Backup Exec 16 onto two different physical servers. On both installs, I try to configure disk storage (Western Digital MyBook, 8 TB) but the job never completes. I waited over 24 hours the first try. My second try is on the other server, same brand/model external USB drive, and the job has been running for over 90 minutes with no signs of doing anything. (See attached screen shots.)

The manual indicates this process is straight-forward. What could I be doing wrong?

Job.jpg

Storage.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When a disk fails the B2DTest, it cannot be used for disk storage.

You can try formatting the disk to NTFS and try the B2DTest again.  If it fails again, then there is nothing much that you can do to get it accepted as a disk storage.

Use a disk which is listed in the HCL instead.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

It should be easy :)

Have you tried configuring temporary/test storage on an internal disk?  Maybe there is some weird USB issue.

I would suggest running B2Dtest.  See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000037869 and/or the BE HCL www.backupexec.com/compatibility

Make sure there are no hidden alerts in BE that need to be acknowledged.

Have you tried rebooting the server and/or restarting the BE services?

(I had a nice reply all typed out then lost it because the forum asked me to re-login. Arrg.)

Restarted, rebooted, sacrificed a lamb. Still no go.

I'm running B2Dtest on both servers now. Both aresitting at "B2D Allocation (pre v14)".

Server 1:
Windows Server 2012 R2
BE 16 64-bit
Disk Storage: Western Digital MyBook, 8 TB, USB, exFAT
Alert Log: empty
Haven't tried a different internal drive. This server only has one logical volume for Windows to see. I'm not sure if I should try using it as Disk Storage.

Server 2:

Windows Server 2008 R2
BE 16 64-bit
Disk Storage: Western Digital MyBook, 8 TB, USB, exFAT
Alert Log: One error about the disk controller for the MyBook. But, the MyBook is currently being used as the backup destination for my previous backup software. It seems to work fine.
Haven't tried configuring an internal drive as Disk Storage. The previous Configure Disk Storage job and B2Dtest are still running. I'm going to wait a day or so to see what happens with those.

This is very frustrating.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When a disk fails the B2DTest, it cannot be used for disk storage.

You can try formatting the disk to NTFS and try the B2DTest again.  If it fails again, then there is nothing much that you can do to get it accepted as a disk storage.

Use a disk which is listed in the HCL instead.

NTFS. I'll try that. Thanks.

I guess I was being nieve in believing this statment in the HCL "any device recognized and supported by the Windows platform should work with Backup Exec."

What USB devices are others using for disk targets?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

"Should" does not imply "must"

pravinkumar_d
Level 3

Hi,

May be you can try this /

1. Connect the USB disk to another server in the same network & domain

2. Share the USB disk with read/write permission to everyone or to backup exec default system logon account and also for service account if its different

3. Now try to access the USB location using \\unc path

4. Create a new folder as BEData

5. Now configure the storage as network share using \\unc\BEData

If it works !! your lucky !! 8 TB sorage is useful with Backup exec.

Regards
Pravin Kumar D

Reformatting to NTFS worked! It was added as Disk Storage in 8 seconds.