cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Downgrade"? to Small Business Edition

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

One of my clients has been using BUE for nearly a decade.  He runs a very small company that only backups up one sever (MS 2008) which includes his data and three databases running on SQL Server 2008.  I have beeen trying to talk him into other software that better fits his needs not because BUE is bad, but that it has outgrown him.  I recently saw that Symantec has released a Small Businesss addition and was researching the differences.  What I couldn't find is if there is a downgrade path from the full version of BUE 2012 to the SBE version and I was wondering if the SBE will still read the backups that we've made in the full version.  Any other comments about the SBE would be appreciated

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The software is exactly the same just different components are enabled/disable by the license you enter.

As such should be no problem with reading the backups, assuming you did not backup something not supported by SBE anyway.

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

Thanks for the info Colin.  I assume that if we get the SBE and the SQL server Agent we will be able to backup everything the the windows server software the user data and the SQL databases

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Make sure you get the approriae agent for SBE as the SBE licesning model has change quite dramatically for the 2012 release.

It no longer requires an actual Small Business Server but is designed to backup a maximum of 3 servers as long as you buy the approriate SBE Agent licenses. 

The specifics of licensing are handled by our Customer Care teams (and not Technical Support) so I am not sure of the exact details. Unfortunately members of Customer Care do not usually contribute on these forums so if you need to confirm details you will have to contact them directly. 

Mike_Mccarron
Level 4

Thanks.  I have already been in touch with customer care when they notified us of our renewal date.  They couldn't answer my technical questions about downgrading which led me here.  I assume I will need the SBE license and the SQL Server agent license like we had with the full package.

i assume then that if I input the new license for SBE and sql agent it will just shut down those parts of the program we don't utilize or will I have to re-install the package