cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"File not present in the snapshot" error but the file is there

brastedd
Level 3

I'm getting the "File xxx is not present in the snapshot" warning during backup, but I've verified that the folder and files being referenced in the error ARE there.

I found a bunch of posts with the error for files that aren't there, but couldn't find anything for the same error when the files definitely are present.

I wondered if anyone has a solution. I did add an exclusion to the backup, but they don't apply to VSS.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that the disk has insufficient space for the snapshot, go to the Shadows Copy properties of the volume and specify no disk limit and try again. When you impose a soave limit again, make sure there are sufficient space for your shadow copies and your backup snapshot You should also make sure you are not making shadow copies during the backup

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Component of the syste state cannot be excluded you have to identify why they are part of the system state (usually something in the registry) and then correct that entry so.

So if you run a backup job of just the System State this will prove if your condition is something you cannot exclude.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

This looks like your error:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000005934

Thanks!

EliasA
Community Manager
Community Manager
Employee CPEP

What is the file that was listed as not being present in the snapshot?

Please refernece this technote to see if is of help:  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH126412

brastedd
Level 3

The links you both refer to discuss the error when the files are NOT there, and a registry entry that needs to be removed and/or dummy file that should be created.

That will not resolve my problem, because the files ARE present.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is AOFO turned on?

Have you tried:

1. To recreate the job?

2. Repair the BEDB using BEutility.exe?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that the disk has insufficient space for the snapshot, go to the Shadows Copy properties of the volume and specify no disk limit and try again. When you impose a soave limit again, make sure there are sufficient space for your shadow copies and your backup snapshot You should also make sure you are not making shadow copies during the backup

brastedd
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'd much rather just exclude the particular folder rather than mess around with a working production system and potentially break something else. We've contacted the vendor and they've stated it's not an important folder for disaster recovery. 

Does anyone know how to ensure the folder is excluded from the VSS snapshot?

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You cannot exclude the folder from the snapshot. You got to exclude it from the backup selection list

brastedd
Level 3

I already have it excluded from the backup selection list, as stated in the original post. I'm still getting the error, presumably because the VSS snapshot ignores the backup selection list in BE.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
VSS snapshots are on a volume level

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Component of the syste state cannot be excluded you have to identify why they are part of the system state (usually something in the registry) and then correct that entry so.

So if you run a backup job of just the System State this will prove if your condition is something you cannot exclude.

brastedd
Level 3

Colin/anyone, do you know whether the FilesNotToSnapshot registry entry can be used to exclude my folder from the system state backup?