cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Logon Account failed to access... Exchange Public Folders"

Barb_Grajewski
Level 4
My Backup Exec jobs are failing when they hit the Exchange Server backup. Someone advised I make sure that I have selected BOTH "Microsoft Information Store" and "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders". (we are not backing up individual mailboxes).

When I went to the Selection list (graphical view) and found our Exchange mail server (we're part of a large AD org), the "Microsoft Information Store" was selected, but NOT the "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders". Each time I attempt to select it, I get "Logon Account "System Logon Account" failed to access "SERVERX\Micorosoft Exchange Public Folders". Access is denied."

That account is shown with the ADMIN username, default, a "Common" account, with the ADMIN as owner. It's an account with full privileges to our Exchange OU and server.
I've tried setting up a separate BACKUP account, with it being a FULL Exchange Admin group member, I've also made sure the account is not hidden from view. I've sent an email to the account. That one doesn't work, either.
What other group memberships should that account have?
WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO DO???
;)
24 REPLIES 24

Jeff_Allen
Level 4
I had the same problem and I made my backup account part of the domain admins security group and it solved the problem. I found using the administrator account does weird things with Exchange... but then again... everything about backing up and restoring exchange is weird :)

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Basically, this issue occurs due to incorrect configuration of the logon account used to backup these components or its inappropriate rights on the Exchange server.
Special considerations and configurations are required to backup Exchange Mailboxes and Public folders. Details are mentioned below:

A. Roles and Rights required to the User Account (the logon account used to attach to the Exchange Mailboxes and Public folders).
To enable an user account to create and run mailbox or public folders backup, following rights should be assigned to it :

- Local Administrator rights on the Exchange Server
- Admin role to the user account at the Site level (for all Sites if there is more than one) using Microsoft's Exchange Administrator utility (for Exchange 5.5)

- Exchange Full Administrator role to the user account at the Organization level (for all Organization if there is more than one) using Microsoft's Exchange System Manager.

B. Create an unique mailbox associated with the respective user account. Backup Exec must have access to a uniquely named mailbox within the Exchange organization. When selecting mailboxes or public folders for backup, Backup Exec will attempt to find a mailbox with the same name (administrator) as the username stored in the Backup Exec logon account used to connect to the Exchange server. If you use a Backup Exec logon account that stores the credentials of a user account that is unique and has a corresponding mailbox of the same name, then you are not prompted for an additional logon account when selecting mailboxes or public folders.
Otherwise, you must choose or create a Backup Exec logon account that stores the name of a unique mailbox within the Exchange organization.

Related technote:
Title: Logon Account " " failed to access "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailbox". Access Denied.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/256313.htm

Title: How to remove the "Hidden" attribute from Exchange 2000 mailboxes so that the mailboxes will be available to the Global Address List for backup purposes.
http://seer.support.veritas.com//docs/243328.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

ASMB_Support
Level 3
I am having the same issue after creating a new, replacement, admin account that is supposed to take over the duties of the older account.

I get: Unable to attach to \\SERVERA\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

And

Unable to attach to \\SERVERA\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
V-79-57344-33932 - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

I also tried using the Exchange Administrator account with the same results.

Once I reentered the old admin account, the backup was again successful. The Old Admin account was used to install the software - ver 10 - do I need to uninstall and then reinstall with the new account? I have spent three days on this without any luck...

Tim Bolton
Arkansas State Medical Board
support@armedicalboard.org

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Some general tips on Exchange and Mailbox backups with BE logon accounts:

Exchange:
1) BE Logon Account needs full admin rights to Exchange, from Organization all the way down. Sometimes after a W2K3 SP1 install, this needs to be changed to "Exchange Administrator" instead.
2) BE Logon Account needs rights of course to access the server the Exchange server runs on.

Mailbox:
1) BE Logon account needs FULL rights to an existing unique mailbox. (verify in AD that under permissions the mailbox has ALLOW next to the account, not DENY)
2) Mailbox used by BE logon account must NOT be hidden from global address list. This is on the AD user page called Exchange Advanced tab, make sure the "Hide from Exchange Address List" is not selected.
3) Verify the mailbox can be accessed and mail can be sent from and received while using the chosen Logon Account. The mailbox usually has to be intialized (logged into at least once) prior to working correctly.

Public Folders:
1) Similar to Mailbox, make sure the BE Logon account has rights to the public folders. Ie: make it an 'Owner' of the folders.

ASMB_Support
Level 3
Thank you for the tips... Those and the preceding tips may have fixed it for us. I am running a backup now so I will know shortly.

When I went to add the BE account to receive full Exchange Rights, via Exchange System Manager, a Domain Admin account was there with Full admin control. I added the BU account with Administrator rights. When I went to change to full, I didn’t realize I should have used that to begin with – my fault, it would not allow the change. I can not delete the Full Account or change it to regular Administrator. There is nothing in the error logs, just a warning that the change can not be completed.

If the backup works, can I press on or do I have a problem waiting in the shadows???

Does the BU account HAVE to be Full Administrator, or will Administrator work okay?

Why could these very helpful tips not be included in the setup manual or the help screen? It would have saved me three days of chasing my tail… If I but new car I don’t have to pay someone to teach me to drive it !!

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Glad things are working for you so far. If it works, you should be good to go. Mine are all Full Administrators, some have reported having to drop to Exchange Administrator after the W2K3 SP1 installs, but I have no first hand experience of that issue.

Veritas can't be faulted for not including tips such as these since you get into areas of whose responsibilty it is to support things, assumed knowledge, manual size, enviornmentla factors, etc. When you buy a car, does the manual really teach you to drive, or did you learn through a drivers ed course prior to buying the car? :p The car company assumes you already know the laws about speed limits, DUI, changing lanes, etc.

ASMB_Support
Level 3
It just seems that this topic should have been considered in more depth. I am a single site with a single domain, and am working, for the most part, by myself. I also have to run Watchguard, Exchange, AD etc etc...

The money that we pay for the product should include the basic instructions for set up and Maintenance. If I want to become a Veritas Guru, which would not be a bad thing at all, I would gladly pay to obtain the certification. I just want to create simple, reliable, daily backups...

There are other issues which I am still searching for answers to such as double email notifications on version 10 and No email notification at all on version 9. I have reset, reconfigured, and rebuilt the jobs with no luck. The version 9 will occasionally send out the test message, usually around 1 in the morning...

Of course the help manuals are little if any help. My favorite answer is to consult with the Systems Administrator... Gee, why didn’t I think of that...?

As far as software packages go, I prefer the KISS rule,,, Keep It Simple Stupid. Or at the very least provide me with the documentation to read and figure it out on my own. Again I am talking about the basic setup techniques and trouble shooting.

Again, thanks for the advice...

TimMessage was edited by:
ASMB Support

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Well, I haven't checked to see if you have an open thread on the alerts issue since I pretty much am limited in time lately so I only scan a few threads...

Double alerts most likely are caused by having notifications set up within the job AND in alert categories. When you do this, you will receive one from the job engine when the job completes, as well as one from the alerts system when the job generates the alert that it completed, failed, etc. I use global alerts (alert categories) rather than per job notifications. Per job notifications are limited to only when the job completes, be it successfully, failed, or with exceptions. Using alert categories allows you to set up once for each type of alert and no matter which job generates it, the notification is sent to the selected recipient.

As for you other issue with tests notifications sometimes working, give me a little more info on what type of setup you are using (smtp, mapi, etc)

ASMB_Support
Level 3
I am right in the middle of a webcast. I will get back with you as soon as it is finished.

Thanks!

Tim

ASMB_Support
Level 3
I went to http://support.veritas.com/253178

It said to set the notification via the Tools dropdown and within the job set up. I thought that is why I am getting two notices?

The double notices were on version 10 BTW...

I am going to clean out the notices on the version 9 server and reset it again. A very strange occurance is that when I use the test button for SMTP, it is delayed almost 12 hours. I am going to reboot that server as well to make sure nothing is hung up.

You can email me direct if that would work better for you

support at armedicalboard dot ORG

Tim

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Use Tools\Alert Categories to setup alerts. Assign recipients to each category that you want to be notified of. Turn on Job Success if you want to be notified everytime a job completes successfully, which is what your Per Job type notifications would be doing. You can mix and match the methods, just pick one only when it comes to a final job status message otherwise you get DUP's.

For SMTP issues, it is possible your relay is not working right. Check this technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264683.htm

ASMB_Support
Level 3
I am setting everything up now. The Relay had all of the authenticated machines set to allow but I put the server specific IP in as well. It, version 9, somewhat worked at one time, however only the job finished portion would work, not that the job had started.

I am going to set the notifications at the Tools menu only. I will let you know the results.

BTW -
Thank You very much for the assistance!!

TB

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

We request you to update us on this issue.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

ASMB_Support
Level 3
I have been out due to family illness.

The server with version 10 is still sending two Job Completion notices, but only one Job Started notice.

The server with version 9 is not notifying that it has started or finished.

I am gong to recreate the job on the server with version 9 and see if that works, perhaps something is hung in the job itself.

TB

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
When you recreate the job, don't selct the notification within the job properties itself since that will cause the double notification if you also have the job completed alert turned on under alert notifications and have a recipient assigned tto it.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

In addition to the earlier reply please see the foll technote:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/250522

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

ASMB_Support
Level 3
I just printed the info from the link provided. I am going to turn on the network monitor.

I re-created the job on version 9; I did not use the internal job notification settings, just the global from the Tools dropdown menu. Test notifications worked okay, but when the job ran and finished, there was nothing.

TB

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the tests and revert with the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Just double checking, you did assign the reipient to the alert correct?