cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Logon Account failed to access... Exchange Public Folders"

Barb_Grajewski
Level 4
My Backup Exec jobs are failing when they hit the Exchange Server backup. Someone advised I make sure that I have selected BOTH "Microsoft Information Store" and "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders". (we are not backing up individual mailboxes).

When I went to the Selection list (graphical view) and found our Exchange mail server (we're part of a large AD org), the "Microsoft Information Store" was selected, but NOT the "Microsoft Exchange Public Folders". Each time I attempt to select it, I get "Logon Account "System Logon Account" failed to access "SERVERX\Micorosoft Exchange Public Folders". Access is denied."

That account is shown with the ADMIN username, default, a "Common" account, with the ADMIN as owner. It's an account with full privileges to our Exchange OU and server.
I've tried setting up a separate BACKUP account, with it being a FULL Exchange Admin group member, I've also made sure the account is not hidden from view. I've sent an email to the account. That one doesn't work, either.
What other group memberships should that account have?
WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO DO???
;)
24 REPLIES 24

ASMB_Support
Level 3
Yes I did all of that. The version 10 is now working fine. The version 9 will not notify for a start or finish of a job. All of the test work fine. The Network monitor was okay; it showed the correct SMTP ports and was successful.

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Start and FInish alert categories are disabled by default. You have to Enable those two categories. and also in properties for each make sure to select 'Send Notifications'.

ASMB_Support
Level 3
I turned on “Configure Alert Categories” for both the “Job Start” and “Job Success”.

I setup “Configure Email and Pager Notification” and “Configure Recipients”, which when tested does send a test message.

I set “Assign recipients To Alert Categories” for both the “Job Start” and “Job Success”.

I did NOT set the “Notification” within the Job Properties per advice from here…

Is there anything that I am missing from the info posted?

Tim

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

As these are two different issues, please open a new thread for notification related issues.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jonathan_Fisher
Not applicable
Hi,

I have tried to setup Backup Exec and tried to add the Exchange folders to the Backup selection list. When I installed the package I set the domain administrator as the account to use, because the installer gave no indication that Administrator was the 'wrong' user to use, or indeed that I should create or use a different user. I am now hitting the same problem as the originator of this query. However I am finding the comments for resolution completely useless:
I have no idea how to assign the user rights requested in the bullet points. I don't know how to launch the applications in question, or where within these applications to assign these rights. In one instance an Exchange 5.5 app is referred to!

I have to agree with a later post in this thread that to use BE for Exchange I am supposed to setup a special user account for backup, with special permissions, but at no point in setup am I told this fact, or how to do it. It's left down to me to search forums and the like to establlish what the hell is going on. Yes you have to learn how to drive a car before you use it. And I have. But when I start the car it only goes backwards, and the instructions given to me by Symantec/Veritas to fix the problem are in double dutch.

Here's the deal:
- Please tell what user(s) I need to create and how (you could even be helpful and suggest what I should call the user)
- Please tell me which groups and permissions are needed for this user, and step by step tell me which applications to launch and where to click to achieve this

Jon