Did you mean: 

"The device, [...], did not respond within the timeout period"

underlig
Level 3
BackupExec 11d  rev 6235
Windows Server 2003
Tekram DC-315/U ultra scsi host adapter
SONY SDX-550V tapedrive

Server keeps rebooting or bluescreening when trying to backup to tape, following text is shown in backupexecs alert-window
Information    Device Information    RSM cannot manage library Tape0. The database is corrupt.    2010-01-25 11:12:04            SERVER    Device

Information    Device Information    The device, \Device\Scsi\trm3x51, did not respond within the timeout period.    2010-01-25 11:12:04            SERVER    Device

Information    Device Information    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\aic78xx1.    2010-01-25 11:12:03            SERVER    Device

and then 20-30x of
Information    Device Information    The device, \Device\Scsi\aic78xx1, did not respond within the timeout period.    2010-01-25 11:12:02            SERVER    Device

\device\scsi\trm3x51 is the current scsi-card, the aic78xx1 is either not present or is the built-in ibm serveraid card which the backups are not supposed to touch in any way.

Is there any way to remove this device from backupexec? I can't see it anywhere, when running the Device configuration wizard, i set it to run symantecs drivers and remove all old devices, but the old devices only showed two sony tapestations and a tandberg from the stone-age, no scsi-cards.

This is a *major* problem since the server bluescreens every night, i'm not even sure if the aic78-devices will disappear if i reinstall backupexec but i will try that tonight.

2 REPLIES 2

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I think there is some issue with the SCSI controller OR the Drivers for the TAPE Drive as we are getting BSOD.

Perform a Power cycle on the Network:
1  : Turn OFF the Server and the Drive
2  : Disconnect the Drive and turn ON the server (This setp will remove the Drive from the OS)
3  : Turn OFF the server and connect the drive
4  : Turn ON the Drive and let it come up.
5  : Turn ON the server and check the Device Manager for the Drivers.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Did it helped??