cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0."

mostfa_diaael-d
Level 3

Hello,

I have problem on  backup I have backup server windows server 2008 R2 standard on Vmware 4.1 and I use Backup exec 2010 R2 and Use HP autoloader (1x8 G2 AUTOLOADER) connected via SAS cable HP Proliant DL380 G6

and the SAS Card is SC44GE Host Bus Adapter.

The problem is job rate is very slow and performance is very bad and I got this error message

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort0."

I tried to update drivers for autoloader , remove it from backup exec and device manger then add them again but no chance.

Could you please support me  I tried many thing but no chance

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...from a Symantec perspective, if you can replicate the issue in a physical environment you would probably get support.

Fact is that you are using an unsupported configuration...

Your only other option is to remove the SAS library from VMware and restart, then re-add it as you did previously before re-adding to the VM. Hopefully this resolves the issue, because this is how we had to do things!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV

Hi there,

Stop the BE services, and download HP Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT).

Run the diagnostic checks against it to make sure this isn't a hardware issue on the tape library itself.

Also make sure you have no hard drives in prefailure/already failed.

Thanks!

mostfa_diaael-d
Level 3

Hello,

I already made it the hardware is fine no problems on it.

Thnx for ur support.

CraigV

Oooohhh...wait a minute. Your media server is virtualised, which is strictly not supported. Welcome to the pain of getting your backups running again on a VM (I've also had the same sort of experience!).

If you restart your physical host this should fix the issue. Otherwise see if you can reregister the device in VMware (remove the library from the VM first!), and then readd the hardware to the VM...

THanks!

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70246

CraigV

...trust me, we followed that TN to the T and we STILL had issues. When an ESX host drops the hardware, or loses connection momentarily, you need to restart the host itself causing downtime for all VMs if you don't have a cluster in place!

Thanks!

mostfa_diaael-d
Level 3

Hello,

virtual machine is already configured to use tape devices which are connected to the host server via Passthrough. and SAS adpter and the autoloader are appeard  on device manger .

mostfa_diaael-d
Level 3

Hello,

I made shutdown for the host and the autoloader then I powered on the autoader first till it up then I start Up the host but no chance

CraigV

...from a Symantec perspective, if you can replicate the issue in a physical environment you would probably get support.

Fact is that you are using an unsupported configuration...

Your only other option is to remove the SAS library from VMware and restart, then re-add it as you did previously before re-adding to the VM. Hopefully this resolves the issue, because this is how we had to do things!

Thanks!

mostfa_diaael-d
Level 3

All this soultions I made it before but I don't know from where the problem.

CraigV

As before...it is an unsupported configuration. Best bet is to run this on a physical server...