cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Trust not established" msg in Backup of Enterprise Vault Directory on

bert_geiger
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Szenario: BE 21.4, Enterprise Vault 14.1. Backup via EV Agent which shows "Directory on..." as item to back up.

The backups seem to back up the correct data (DBs, Partitions, Indexes) but right at the end the message

"Backup Exec cannot connect to the remote agent because a valid trust does not exist between the remote agent an the Backup Exec server"...

And no, you can't add the remote server because it's not a server, it consists of objects like SQL DBs and server, and "establish trust" is greyed out for the "Directory on..." "Server". The displayed error code E0009B86 is nowhere to be found, either.

The really curious fact is that the immediately following Verify job completes successfully, and with the exact data the failed job backed up, and all the Backup Sets are available for restore.

Naturally I tried all kinds of restarts, but to no avail. I might add that I have two BE servers and two EV servers, both showing the same symptoms.

The fact remains that I have failed backup jobs daily - and that is a bit hard to explain to the customer...

Any hints/suggestions/experiences are welcome

Regards, Bert

4 REPLIES 4

RogRubin
Employee

Hi Bert, 
EV 14.1 is not yet supported with Backup Exec, this includes the current version of BE 22
There are plans to support it in future versions of Backup Exec.
I would recommend checking the Software Compatibility List (SCL) from time to time or when a new version is released to see if EV 14.1 is listed.

bert_geiger
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi RogRubin,

sorry for the late reply - I was on vacation :)

I do know that EV 14.3 is not supported due to the introduction of snapshots. The SCL initially (March '21) read only that version EV 14 is supported with BE 21.1 and later (I found out the hard way that that is not true, but I thought 14.1 should be). But the EV SCL of today says that EV 14.1 IS SUPPORTED ), cf. footnote 14; only EV 14.2 is "pending" and 14.3 is not even mentioned. So I expect my combination of BE 21.4 and EV 14.1 to work without any problems and strange error messages! You see, even the reports like overnight summary list the jobs as "Completed Success" (Error Category is blank) which makes it even harder to understand why the job monitor acts up...

Regards, Bert

PJ_Backup
Employee

Hi Bert,

Do you have the link to the document that shows EV 14.1 is supported, as both the BE 21 SCL:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/BE_21_SCL Backup Exec 21 - 21.x Software Compatibility List (SCL)

and the BE 22 SCL:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/BE_22_SCL - Backup Exec 22 - 22.x Software Compatibility List (SCL)

both only show up to EV 14.0 (on pages 26 & 27 respectively).

For reference the BE Compatibility page (for links to all the SCL/HCL & Admin guides) can be found here:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100040087 Backup Exec Compatibility List Home Page

RogRubin
Employee

Hi Bert

Just as info; I can see why you understand the current EV SCL the way you did and I have passed that conflicting information to the responsible EV team so it can be adjusted to reflect the same information as the BE SCL.

In regards to your question; the BE SCL is the one with the correct information.