cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"(Unknown media)" when rotating tapes

JRV2
Level 4

I have a Tandberg LTO6 autoloader & BE2012 that I support at one site, and an Overland LTO6 autoloader & BE15 at another. All tapes at both sites are bar-coded.

At the Tandberg/BE2012 site, when I rotate previously used, but now overwritable, tapes into the slots and do a Scan from BE, the tapes are shown with their correct labels and are recognized.

At the Overland/BE15 site, when I do the same thing, the tapes that I've just loaded show the correct Barcode and Media Label, and all other columns for that matter. But in the Description column, it shows "(Unknown media)". If I inventory those slots, (or just let BE choose those tapes for a backup) the "(Unknown media)" designation goes away.

There's no practical difference, so this is really just curiosity, but why are tapes at the Tandberg/BE2012 site recognized correctly, and those at the Overland/BE15 site "unknown" until I inventory or reuse them? Is it an Option setting? Difference between BE2012 and BE15 media management? Autoloader hardware difference?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is a known problem since BE 2012 in that tapes are not properly recognised after a scan. An inventory is recommended

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is a known problem since BE 2012 in that tapes are not properly recognised after a scan. An inventory is recommended

JRV2
Level 4

That's odd because it's BE2012 that's working correctly after a scan. BE15 is the one that is requiring the inventory.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Some problems do not manifest itself in every installation

JRV2
Level 4

True enough.

So I guess I'll continue Inventorying on the BE15 system and merely Scanning on the BE2012 system.

I'm sorry... But WHAT!?

How is there a bug documented for BUE2012 that was fixed, but re-appearing now in BUE 15??  I have BUE 15 as well and am experiencing this same issue described by the OP.

Come on Veritas, get your S*** together

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Against the content of

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000022807

it suggests that inventories are a workaround for customers experiencing such issues and that formal support cases may still be needed

tonymoey
Level 1

it's true, you need to INVENTORY each individual slot