cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"the driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu3201"

links10
Level 4
Partner

I am receiving the error message "the driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu3201" when running a backup. If the job does complete, it just runs very slowly. As of now only local jobs complete. This is a hp dl380, with server 2003 ent and bue 12.5 with all update installed. I've run the symantec driver update as well as running firmware 8.3.

Does anyone know what this error means? Is the scsi card bad or could the problem be somewhere else. At this point I'm assuming this is a hardware issue. The scsi card is a new adaptec ultra 320, pci-x.

7 REPLIES 7

MAHESHN
Level 4

the driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu3201- generally means that tere could be a Hardware / software issue ,

Try going to event viewer ( Rightclick my computer ...manager ---event viewer ...system event and check for evnt ids : 7/9/11, and wsee what evnt has a frequent occurence)

For additional info refer : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690 How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error messages

Regards,

MAHESHN
Level 4

the driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\adpu3201 - correspnds to event id 11 :

Generic trouble shooting would be to check cabling/ Firmware updates for SCSI card / re swapp of the dev ice ( Shutdwon/ Swap out and re-swap in ) ---

Furher if similar events occur get Hardware vendor to look in same...

links10
Level 4
Partner
Ok, after going through various trouble shooting step I ened up downloading new drivers from the adaptec website. I just ran a job with a transfer rate of 550mb, from a local drive. Hopefully it's about the same over the network.

MAHESHN
Level 4
keep me posted

links10
Level 4
Partner

The backup job did not run and was just saying "superseded" as the status. I deleted the job and recreated it from the policy I have setup and now it's saying "ready;unknown" as the status.

links10
Level 4
Partner

I ended up rebooting the backup server and was able to run the backup job (backing up exchange). The job was running fine (1300mb/min) but slower than what I've been getting on my old backup server (2300mb/min). So it all looked good until right at the end of verifying the job failed with the following error:

Snapshot provider error (0xe000FE1F): The device cannot be found.

But strangely enough, when go to do a restore, everything looks ok. I am not actually running a restore but everthing is presented as if it would work.

At this point I still think it has do with the scsi card, cable or autoloader. I don't have another scsi card or tape drive to try. I could set them up on another server when I have time.

Message Edited by links10 on 01-29-2009 07:18 AM

MAHESHN
Level 4
ok then