cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote agent on the backup server giving error

macunnin
Level 2
Upgraded from 10d to 11d.
I get error message stating that media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine servername.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
The servername is the 11d backup server.

I checked services and the remote agent is installed.
It backs up the other remote servers fine.
I never had this problem with 10d.
I do not see how to remove or reinstall remote agent on the local backup server.
When I try to go into remote agents install, it never gives the local server in the list, only the remote ones.
I just want the error to go away.

10 REPLIES 10

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Did you install the 11D agent.  You must use the correct agent for each version of BE.  Uninstall the remote agent and reinstall from inside BE.  Make sure you have adequate rights.   Does the remote or BE box have Windows firewall enabled?  If yes, you will need to open up the ports for remote backup.   Can you ping the box?  Set up a share on the remote box.   Can you access it from the BE server with no issues.  You will want to configure the remote agent with its administrator account for access to backup the system state along with file system. 

Message Edited by Michael McKenney on 04-04-200708:05 AM

macunnin
Level 2
The error is not with remote error but trying to backup the backup server.
The backup remote agent is on the backup server itself.
I tried to reinstall inside of backup exec but it does not allow to install on the server itself.
It just does not show the server and only the other servers in the network.
I do not know why it uses the remote agent on the server itself nor why it is even installed.
I have seen the remote agent on the server itself on several other installations of 11d that I support at other clients.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Post the exact error message. 

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Base BE product is 32-bit.  The agent is 64-bit to be able to backup the system state on 64-bit OS because 32-bit can't do it.   I want BE 11.1D to be 100% 64-bit to remove the agents for better performance. 

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You can't uninstall the Remote agent from the BE media server - it's how the BE server backs itself up. Every backup uses the agent, even local ones, as mentioned at http://www.backupexecfaq.com/faq/concepts/what-are-agents.html
I don't know the fix for your problem though :(

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
I would rather it created a separate backup process for each concurrent job.  So one job did not affect the other jobs.    They did the agent because you can't backup a 64-bit system state on a 32-bit version of BE.   They could drop the agents by making BE fully 64-bit.   They just put on a bandage for 64-bit OS.  

ApexIT
Level 2
macunnin-
Were you ever able to figure this out?  We are seeing the same issue on a couple different servers where the remote agent is failing the backup job because it cannot connect to itself.  Everything seems to back up fine though.  Thanks.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
If you are getting the error on the media server go into the properties of the job and go to resource credentials you will see the media server there, if you see if listed twice this is the issue.

You will see the System state by itself under another entry for that server.

To correct this, deselect the Shadow Copy components and the System State and reselect it in the selection list.

Once you do that, check the Resource Credentials again. 

You should no longer see the Media server listed twice and your job will no longer fail connecting to itself. 

ApexIT
Level 2
That was it Patty, thanks.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Great!
I am happy to hear that resolved the issue.
Have a good day.