cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove SQL Agent

xyz_zyx
Level 3
Hello,
I installed Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 to our Windows 2003 server. There is no SQL Server installed in the server but Veritas installation somehow installed SQL Agent. How can I remove SQL Agent?
Thanks,
Jim.
7 REPLIES 7

Robbie
Level 3
I will assume that you have no SQL servers in your environment which you wish to protect via Backup Exec. If you do (on remote servers not necessarily this server, which I will assume is your designated media server (main Backup Exec Server)) then you should leave it and make sure you have purchased the licence.

From within Backup Exec, go Tools -> Serial Numbers and Installation. Wait for it prepare the installer, then choose local installation, and Additional Options (top option).

Next it will list all the serial numbers it knows about. Is the Agent for SQL listed? If it is highlight and click remove and continue through the installation (no settings will be affected).

If its not listed then let me know, in fact have you upgraded from a previous version perhaps? Or is it a fresh install...

Rob

xyz_zyx
Level 3
Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
It was a fresh install. I have SQL server but not on this computer. We have other Veritas software installed on other computers, I just need to backup this server standalone. Can I go ahead an remove SQL? I do not want to cause trouble to other Veritas installations.

I have one more related question, can I user one Veritas software installed on one machine and backup all the different servers on different backup drives?
Thanks,
Jim.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You will need to purchase one RemoteAgent per non-media server that you want to backup, but other than that, it should be no trouble setting it up.

xyz_zyx
Level 3
Hello,
I did what you described below. I see only one serial number it is for Backup Exec for Windows Servers. I do not see any other serial number. Also When I say Next, It shows me Microsoft SQL server as red X, meaning not installed. But I know agent is running in the server and it was installed after I installed Veritas.
Any idea?
Thanks,
Jim..

Robbie
Level 3
Ok, I need to make sure first that it is the agent thats installed and shows up under the serials part of the installation. If you have now got an "SQL Server" installed after installing Backup Exec, this is actually the MSDE (Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine) which Backup Exec uses for its catalogue and other database "type" aspects.

As I say though if you have no SQL Server on that machine then you can remove the licence for it from within Backup Exec via the method I posted before.

However do you have an SQL Icon in the system tray (bottom right of screen near the time) with a Green Play icon? If so hover over it with the mouse it should be the MSDE! (It should also show up in the Selections for the local server).

Regards to the other question, depends on exactly what you have, you mention that you have veritas installed elsewhere. Am I right in assuming that you have a number of servers each with a backup device (tape) and each running backup exec? What would you like to achieve?

Rob

xyz_zyx
Level 3
Thanks for the reply,
On the task bar I see MSSQL Server Icon with a green play icon. When I do right click on it I have Open SQL Server Service Manager, Stop, Pause, .. So it does not seem MSDE. When I try to stop SQL server, it say it will stop backup exec too.

When I did steps that you gave me, SQL server was already red X so I did not do anything just cancel it.

Yes, when I came this company I saw that every server with tape driver had verias installed, is this the right way, or one veritas installed on the network can take backup in all server which has tape drive?
Thanks,
Jim.

Robbie
Level 3
Ok :) Backup Exec needs an SQL server of some sort to work properly either MSDE or SQL. If SQL server was installed on the machine before Backup Exec was installed then it will have detected it and used that for its databases. However if nothing was there it should have installed MSDE. Either way it needs one :)

I just checked on one of my Win2K servers running Backup Exec 9.1 hovered over the SQL icon and it shows it as SQLServer - so this is correct. I know however that its MSDE.

Check in Add/Remove programs to see if you see Microsoft SQL Server if its not listed then its definately MSDE.

I wouldn't uninstall or attempt to uninstall this component as its needed as I said above. So this should be ok now :)

As for your multiple servers, each with a tape device and Backup Exec installed. The ideal way is to have a single media server with enough tape (and perhaps disk backup) capacity for all the servers. To accomplish this either install a single drive with enough capacity for all machines if they were full plus a little extra for expansion, next (and a better option) is to use an auto loader again with a high capcity device (this way if the tape becomes full during backup it will use the next available tape automatically - needed on over night backups), last and best option (most expensive) is to install a library with multiple drives (this would have the best expansion and flexibility).

As per the other post you would though need to install the Remote Agent on each server, plus ensure that any databases are covered by the relevent agent (SQL, Exchange etc).

I would guess in your case that each tape drive is big enough for each server only (i.e. a DLT 35/70 and hard disks of this capacity or bigger or somewhere similar). The cost of the options above could probably be covered by the licence costs of Backup Exec on each machine, or at least a proportion of it, and there would be only one backup server to manage which is much better and simpler.

Rob