cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

replacing a drive with veritas

mwizsocool
Level 2
Hi,

I've begun providing IT support for this little company and I'm not very familiar with Veritas Backup Exec (yet!). Anyway, they have a Seagate tape drive being used on one of the backup servers that is beginning to make an "unhappy" noise; I think this may be the beginning of the end for this drive. The tape drive is about 4-5 years old and I've recommended replacing it.

My question is: what is entailed in replacing a backup drive with Veritas? I don't want to change the backup job at all except to configure it (if need be) so it knows it will be backing up to a new device. How do I do this? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

Please check the HCL of Veritas before replacing the drive:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382

After the drive has been replaced, check if the device is being recognized in the Device Manager first and then run the device configuration wizard: Tools> Wizards> Device configuration wizard and configure the device.

Recycle the Backup Exec Services.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

mwizsocool
Level 2
> Please check the HCL of Veritas before replacing the
> drive:
>
> http://support.veritas.com/docs/271382
>
>

Okay.

> first and then run the device configuration wizard:
> Tools> Wizards> Device configuration wizard and
> configure the device.

Okay.

> Recycle the Backup Exec Services.
>

How do you mean "recycle the backup exec services"? Do you mean to Stop and then Start the Veritas services running in Windows? Thanks for the quick response.

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

By recycling the services, i mean to restart the Backup Exec services. That can be either done from the services.msc or the Backup Exec GUI from Tools > Backup Exec Services > Start all the services.

Hope this helps!

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.