cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore Hyper-v

Shahin
Level 6

Hi guy's,

We have BE 15 and we useing it to backup one of our server 2008 R2 Hyper-v servers. Now we want to migrate some of the VM's on this Hyper-v host to a server 2019 host and in process of migration allow the users to keep on using the VM on the server 2008 R2 host untill we finished the migration.

Resoreing the VM to the same server but different Drive failed becuse it says the VM is in use.

Question,

Can I restore the VM to the new server 2019 Hyper-v Host with the option "To another location; change the drive, but keep the same path" and let the oraginal VM keep on running on the server 2008 R2?

of course after we are done converting the VHD to VHDX we will trun off the  VM on 2008 Host and bring the VM on 2019 Host online.

in short the VM on server 2008 must not be offline when we are migrating to server 2019. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kf2013
   VIP   

Sure, you can. If you choose to restore to another host, the restored VM wont power on.

I always do that.

If you need the VHD file only, you can uncheck "Register the VM".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot restore an existing VM within the same Hyper-V server - even if to different path. 
You should be able to restore to a different Hyper-V server.

Herewith supported restore options:
(Extract from BE Admin Guide - I have highlighted the virtual machine restore scenarios ) :

You can use the Restore Wizard to restore data from virtual machines in the following ways:
Restore a complete virtual machine for disaster recovery purposes.
■ Restore individual files or folders that were backed up from the virtual machine
   (if you selected the Granular Recovery Technology features for the backup job).
Restore a virtual machine to a different Microsoft Hyper-V server.
■ Redirect flat files from the virtual machine to any computer that has an Agent for Windows installed.

If you read the section in the manual related to restore to another location, you will see that all the examples mention another server, e.g:

Example: The original virtual machine was
on \\ServerA\D:\VMs\1.vhd and you want
to restore it to \\ServerB\D:\VMs\1.vhd

Example: The original virtual machine was
on \\ServerA\D:\VMs\1.vhd and you want
to restore it to \\ServerV\E:\VMs\1.vhd

Thanks for your reply,

I already read that, but question is can I restore the VM to a different host without put the oraginal VM offline? I will not connect the restored VM on second host to the newwork. I need the VHD file of the VM.

kf2013
   VIP   

Sure, you can. If you choose to restore to another host, the restored VM wont power on.

I always do that.

If you need the VHD file only, you can uncheck "Register the VM".