cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore an email message

4johnny
Level 3

I have the latest version of Backupexec 2010 with latest patches.  I cannot seem to restore an email message.  I create a restore job, select a message from my inbox that i want to restore, choose a backup (on external hard drive, not tape) from last week, and it starts the process of restoring.  It places a copy of the entire information store in the D:\backupexec temp folder and the job has been going for over 24hours and just says 'staging'.  I have tried multiple times with different users.  What am i doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

I guess the 1st thing you should do before proceeding is duplicating the backup job to local backup to disk folder and then try to attemp the restore , this way you dont need to stage the IS everytime you run the restore . The issue is ideally with the account credentails used for restore , make sure you are using the same account to restore which you use for the backup .

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Technically if it is on disk you shouldn't need to stage...however, make sure that the temporary location is on a drive with enough disk space to store the entire Information Store for the duration of the restore. It gets deleted automatically.

The other thing is...has this ever worked before? Is your BE service account a member of the right groups in AD, and is delegated rights in Exchange.

THanks!

4johnny
Level 3

I have never attempted an email restore before.  File restore works fine from the same backup set.  I havea feeling its a credentials error in exchange.  However, everthing looks like it is in place.  The username/password I use for backup is the same as the restore and I it is a member of domain admin, backup operators, exchange servers.

Am i missing something?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check for the following things as well

Make sure the mail box for the backup account is not hidden from GAL

The backup account should have send as receive as rights .

It should have exchange full administrator role .

What version fo exchange are you running ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

4johnny, did you perhaps use AOFO with the job?