cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore from backup Exec after server crash

jsrogol
Level 2

trying to restore from a backup of the server and the software doesn't recognize that anything is there. I'm sure there is a step I missed somewhere.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You mean to say media content is not populated?

Have you tried an inventory followed by catalog?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...and you might also want to check your date range if you have already done what was advised above...BE likes to select some randon date most of the time. In this case, select either the specific date you want to restore from, or a date range very close from this (a couple of days either side of the restore date!)...

Thanks!

jsrogol
Level 2
I actually did the inventory and then the catalog. The problem is this: every directory is there but there is NO data at all. I know I had the backup set to copy all data files for full and doing incremental backups during the week. Now I see nothing on the backup drive. The server drive is toast-I can hear it spinning BUT it is not recognized by any machine. Is there data on the backup and I'm doing it wrong OR am really in deep trouble. Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The server drive is toast-I can hear it spinning BUT it is not recognized by any machine.

To be frank, i couldn't understand what it is about! Sorry.

Are you really sure that you are using the media that was used for FULL backup? Have you tried using Resource View in restore selections?

With Incremental/differential backups only Folder names will be backedup if there is no change to the files residing in folder. Hence if you are looking at incremental backups in restore, then you will see only folders, but no files.

jsrogol
Level 2
Well, you explained why I have directories but no files. The none of the full backup jobs worked correctly so, I guess I am out of luck for data. Of course, I didn't realize the full backup wasn't working. My fault there. Will need to go another route to solve my problem now. Thanks so much for the information.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

One possible reason why you don't see any files in your full backup is that the files are under DSF.  For files under DSF, you got to backup the shadow copy component of the disk that they reside on.  Selecting them normally will not backup fles under DSF.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the drive is broken is what the OP is meaning to say.