cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore issues backup exec 2012

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Dear Symantec experts,

I’ve an issue with restoring my files / exchange mailboxes.

We use Backup Exec 2012, include SP4.

When I want to restore some files, I select the date, but there is no information / data visible. What I see is that there is a warning logo visible on the selected date, but no folders or files. I’m really sure that there was data in the back-up.

But my Exchange 2010 jobs are stranger.

1. Some catalog jobs are failed, when I restart them, the job says it’s successfully. But why is this not directly completed?

2. When I want to restore some mailbox items, I select the date and the database, when I want to open this, I receive the error: “Query Failed”. How can I resolve this?

Kind regards,

Dennis Blotenburg

13 REPLIES 13

lmosla
Level 6

Repush the updated agent from the Backupexec server and see if running a repair of the BEDB helps fix some of these issues.  refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67239

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Hi Ismosla,

I've followed the instruction in the blog, but a repair of the BEDB doesn't helps. I can't restore mailbox items from some dates because the "Query failure" shows up. Some other dates works fine.

Regards,

Dennis

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you restoring from tape or disk ? If tape, would recommend to duplicate the existing backup sets to disk and then retry the restore.

Is this a stand-alone BE server or part of a CASO-MMS setup ?

Have you tried recataloging the storage media prior to the restore ?

This can also be occur if there are lots of items listed in the resource view. As a workaround, use the "Search" option to explicitly search and restore the required data.

Arkya
Level 4
Dennis, if it was being backed up in tape could you please let us if the data was written to a same tape or multiple tapes.if in multiple tapes go to BE options..check the catalog settings and change it accordingly..try to run the catalog then.

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Hi VJWare / Arkya,

@Arkya,

I've Back-ups to disk, from there a duplicate to tape. The restore that I'm try is from disk.

We use a stand-alone Backup Exec Server.

How can I recataloging the storage media?

It's true that there are a lots of items listed in the resource view. The work around does not help because I can't search for a full mailbox, only to mailbox items like as notes and contacts. Or is there an onther way to search for full mailboxes?

@ Arkya,

The duplicate job is stored on two different tapes for the file job (Issue1) But how can I check te catalog exactly?

Sorry for my knowledge about BE2012 I'm new with BE2012.

Arkya
Level 4
Dennis, insert any one of the media.. Go to BE console.. options...catalog..uncheck the request all media sequence based catalog,check the stotage media based catalog..restart the services..try to run the catalog now..

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Hi Arkya,

For the Exchange restore it doesn't help, I've again the Query Failed error. Also for the file restore, it doesn't help. By selecting a data, there are no files visible.

But What I see, when I'm uncheck the "request all media sequence based catalog", the "Use storage-based catalogs" are greyed out.

The "truncate catalogs after * months" is set on 2months is that OK?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The Truncate Catalog setting will only take effect for future catalogs and not existing ones. After the Catalog is truncated, you need to Catalog the media before you can do any restore. Do you really want to truncate your Catalog?

Arkya
Level 4

Dennis,

Please if the backup tapes that you are using are older 2 months, then backup exec will automatically remove the catalogs once 2 month is over as per the default setting is checked.uncheck the "request all media sequence based catalog" and  storage based catalog will be automatically checked and will be greayed out. Try to run the catalog now.

I assume  the tapes from where you are trying to restore was used 2 months back and it needs to be cataloged, after that you will be able to see the data.

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Hi Arkya,

Thanks for your reply.

I will test your solution next week and will let you know if it's works!

Regards,

Dennis

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

HiArkya,

Thanks for the answer, it helps for my file restore!

But unfortunnately not for the Exchange job. The data is available on disk, but I've get the query failure again by browsing in a back-up.

If any one knows what I can do to fix that, it would be great.

Regards,

Dennis

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is it possible to install a trial version of BE 2014 on another server and check if you are receiving "Query failed" error for the Exchange backup sets ?

If yes, pls do ensure BE 2014 is updated with SP2 and HF 227745 prior to attempting the restore.

dennisblotenbur
Level 3

Hi VJWare,

Thanks for your reply. At this moment I've no another server available, I will check you suggestion at another moment when we had an extra machine available.

Kind Regards,

Dennis