cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore to different machine.

Agust
Level 5

Hi,

I have a computer that crashed totally but now I have identical hardware and I have installed the same OS (windows 2008 sp1) on it.

I wish to restore everything of the old machine (all of c: , systemstate and shadow copy components) but I wish to do it to a different ip than the original machine. How would I do that?

Best regards,

Agust

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

IP address has to be same else system state restore will fail.

Agust
Level 5

I am a bit disapointed.

this is what I have done:

1. Set up a windows 2008 sp1 machine
2. installed backup exec on that machine
3. Restored all of C:, System state and Shadow Copy Components
4. Restarded the machine after a successfull restore

but the machine still has the old name (not the name of the machine I restored) Still has the old IP settings, the programmes for most part do not work.

I dont get what how to use the backup if I can not recover the machine.

best regards,
Agust

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can build the machine with same name and IP address as before for the restore process. Once the restore is complete and the server is up and running, you can change the IP address or the server name as per your needs.

You may refer to following document for detailed steps:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86323

I_T_Guy
Level 4

It seems that we are missing something here. You said that you have done the restore of C:, System state and Shadow Copy Components using the Backup Exec. However as far as I know the restore should fail untill unless the server name is the same as the old one.

Anyway, the answer to your orignal question is that you can restore your old server's data (C:, System state and Shadow Copy Components) to the new server with a different IP as the only mandate here is to have the same server name with which the backup was done.

You will need to install the remote agent on the server and follow the details mentioned in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH86323 .