Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rman commands

dlevey4456
Level 2
Hello,

I am using BE 11d.

I want to execute rman options thast aren't built into the program, such as "Backup Recovery Files", and I want to initiate this from BE, not a DBA initiated job.

How can I do this?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Brendan_Foley
Level 3
there are scripts to do this in the backup Exec install folder on your media server. On windows if you used the default isntall dir look in Prgram Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Scripts

dlevey4456
Level 2
Thanks,

But how do I get the BE initiated job to run a script? I only see options for Full Backup, Tablespace backup, etc.

Brendan_Foley
Level 3
These scripts are to provide input for DBA-initiated jobs at the RMAN prompt. Is there any reason for you not to use DBA-initiated jobs?

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
Can you use the pre-command option to run your script?  Backup Exec will wait for a status code before continuing with the backup.  Our Oracle DBA does not use the Backup Exec Oracle feature we stop the database and back it up flat.  His choice not mine.

dlevey4456
Level 2
I need to execute an RMAN script initiated from the BE console.

The reasons for this are primarily to provide a central point of backup activity for the organization and to allow for coordination with all other backup jobs using the tape library resources.

Additionally, the DBA initiated jobs show up in the history on the BE console as a system generated backup name with no signifigance to the name to indicate what is is. This causes the monitoring of these jobs to be much more difficult to implement.

The interface on BE only allows for the most basic RMAN activities. I am using 10g, utilizing fully the flash recovery area, incrementally updated backups, ASM, etc.

The BE interface cannot deal with or take advantage of any of that.

So, as indicated in my original post, how can I run an rman script in a backup job initiated from BE?

dlevey4456
Level 2
I can't do cold backups, we have 40 online databases that will be using this.

The Pre-backup commands might work, but this seems like a clumsy workaround.

It is clear that BE is creating an rman script if you choose one of it's backup types (Full, Incremental, etc) and then passing it to the agent to execute.

Since it is doing it, I can't follow why there isn't an option to give it my own script to do the same with.

Thanks