cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

robot question

OLDnTIRED
Level 3

We are thinking about purchasing a small 11 slot robot library. We currently use BE9 and I was reading through the setup for robotic libraries and there is a section for partitioning it. Now I was thinking about going with 11 partitions, 10 with normal tapes and 1 slot for a cleaning tape. The data I want to backup data is about 175gigs and the tape drive is an LTO 200/400 I expect 1 tape to hold all the data for one day.
My questions are:
1. Should I create a job for each machine I want to backup then schedule them one after another or should I create one large job?
2. How will the software manager the partitions, do I set the job(s) to use the top level device or do I set each job to use a specific partition and change it every day?

Thanks everyone.

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)  You can do either, but if you go with separate jobs, and have problems with only one server, only that job will FAIL, of you go with one large job, you have to scan through the log to find which machine had problems

2)  If you want to guarantee that a job writes to a specific tape, you need to create separate jobs, pointed at a specific partition

OLDnTIRED
Level 3

Thank You for the response.

So if I understand this correctly I will need to create a separate job for each partition in the robot. If I create separate jobs for each machine then the job count goes up very quickly.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
So if I understand this correctly I will need to create a separate job for each partition in the robot

Correct