cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running out of tape space

Al_Campos
Level 3
How can I be running out of tape space when my SDLT device is set to compress up to 220gig and my tapes are SDLT 1's? Also my job only contains 180gigs of data.

External Tape Drive, SDLT 110/220, on Windows 2003 server, with BE 11d(amn!)
6 REPLIES 6

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
Because the 220GB figure is based on the ideal theoretical compression ratio which has little to do with the real world. Most people find they get a ratio of around 1.2:1 to 1.3:1, so you're doing very well to get 180GB onto you tape.

Al_Campos
Level 3
thanks, but it has workded with V9 and 10 for over two years, not it doesn't!!

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
So you're saying that in two years the amount of data hasn't increased at all? It's impossible that you now have tipped over the edge and are backing up just that little more data that you are filling the tape?

Do you have a record of exactly how much data you were backing up previously, and do you know exactly how much data you are trying to backup now (as opposed to how much is being backed up before the backup fails)?

Jay_Hughes
Level 3
Hi Al:

You are already getting a pretty good compression ratio on these tapes. You either need to buy an additional tape drive or one that uses higher capacity tapes.

Jay

Robert_Fahlstr_
Level 3
Since I dont know how the backup job looks like it might be a stupid idea.

Why dont split the backup job into 2 separate jobs and just use 1 more tape?

spn
Level 2
I am having a similar problem with BE 11d on a 2000 Server. When I chek the properties of the drive it tell me that the capacity of the drive is 100GB. It also tell me that the Product ID is 100GB SDLT DRV. In Device Manager the tape is listed as Compaq 110/220 GB SDLT Tape Drive. I have setup the device using Symantec Driver (which I updated from the Symantec site).
Has anyone else had this problem ?