cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server backups size

alexey107
Level 4

Hi.

I backup a lot of stuff to deduplication storage and to disk storage, they are VM, windows servers SQL DBs and so on. Is it possible to somehow get info about how much storage does all backups take for specific protected server?
I tryed to use reporting, but couldn't construct report to provide such info.
The only way i found is to go diskstorage->order backup sets by resource name->sumarize each backup set size property. It is bad solution and works only for diskstorage backup sets but deduplication backup sets don't have such property.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I suspect you cannot do it for deduplication because some of the 'chunks' of data that are sampled by Deduplication might apply to more than one backup job and/or server

The way deduplication works is we chunk up the data and then compare chunks about to be backed up with existing chunks, if we find a match we increment database records instead of backing it up again (which is how the space reduction occurs)

Hence how can you run a report that says server X is currently using this much storage when 30% of server Y is using the same storage? (or even the job 2 days later for server X is using 90% of the first job for server X etc)

Note: unlike things like ZIP compression, which only samples within a single file, deduplication operates across all resources sent to the same deduplictaion folder.

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver

Well you could possibly use BEMCLI to script some kind of result into a text file and then manipulate that inside excel

If you are using one of the capacity licenses then the details of the capacity usage (in the home screen of the BE console) does show you the largest backup in last 30 days for every resource

Not sure we have any specific report that will add up all the backups of a given resource for you though

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you tried to look into a custom report?

Of course i tryed, but it doesn't have necessary category and fields (advanced fileds) to provide such info.

Colin_Weaver

I suspect you cannot do it for deduplication because some of the 'chunks' of data that are sampled by Deduplication might apply to more than one backup job and/or server

The way deduplication works is we chunk up the data and then compare chunks about to be backed up with existing chunks, if we find a match we increment database records instead of backing it up again (which is how the space reduction occurs)

Hence how can you run a report that says server X is currently using this much storage when 30% of server Y is using the same storage? (or even the job 2 days later for server X is using 90% of the first job for server X etc)

Note: unlike things like ZIP compression, which only samples within a single file, deduplication operates across all resources sent to the same deduplictaion folder.

Ok, for deduplication storage i understand.

But is it possible to figure out for server whose backups are on "Disk storage"?

Colin_Weaver

Well you could possibly use BEMCLI to script some kind of result into a text file and then manipulate that inside excel

If you are using one of the capacity licenses then the details of the capacity usage (in the home screen of the BE console) does show you the largest backup in last 30 days for every resource

Not sure we have any specific report that will add up all the backups of a given resource for you though