cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shadow copies

DJMC
Level 2

Hi,

I am new to Backup Exec so I apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

I have recently taken over from a previous backup admin and while troubleshootig some failed backups I have discovered that there are a few old shadow copys  still listed when I run vssadmin list shadows on one of our windows SBS 2011 servers.

Is there any way to relate the shadow copy ID to the backup jobs, is this information recorded in the logs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

D

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...they shouldn't be needed once the backup job completes, but refer to the TN below for more information on removing them:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83223

Thanks!

DJMC
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I was just wondering if this information is recorded anywhere.

Thanks again

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Typically SBS servers default to creating shadow copies of the volumes on a schedule (once or twice a day)

I believe this was done as a default because there would not really be a backup product runing on SBS when first installed.

If you install Backup Exec and regularly take backups to separate storage it may well therefore be possible to disable this default SBS functionality

The settings would be somewhere of the right click/context menu against each volume (and in fact on my test SBS2011 server they are still enabled there to run at 07:00 and 12:00)

DJMC
Level 2

Hi Colin,

Thanks for yor reply.

The SBS backup is not configured. What I'm trying to do is relate some shadow copies to a backup operation.

D

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I don't think this is possible, unless it is contained in the BEDB somewhere. For this, you'd need to log a call with Symantec.

Otherwise increase the level of logging in the backup job and see if it shows up.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You woudl ahve to speak to Microwoft to indentify what cerated a snapshot if it is not clear by the name. If they are all old and no new ones are being created then you can probably delete them.

As long as Backup Exec is NOT running a backup at the time you look howevere then there should be no snapshots cerated by Backup Exec on the system.

If SBS is creating then (and you have not found the settings) then I think the default is 07:00 and 12:00 every day so you should see an obvious pattern .