Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

share a tape libray in CAS

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi,

is there a way to share a direct attached tape library between backup Exec's?

library attached to a managed backup exec server , can other managed BE server use that library?

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No...this would be a function of SAN SSO with a SAN-attached tape library, not a direct-attached library.

What you could do is backup to disk on 1 media server and then duplicate to disk on the media server with the tape library. Once done, duplicate to tape...D2D2T.

Thanks!

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello mgmasterv2,

This was really a good question, so I needed to look for a solution. I found this, SCSI to FC bridges.

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/two-media-server-one-hp-library-possible

check the answer from teiva boy, and why not.

best regards,

cruisen

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi ,

thanks for your replay ,

actually this server with tape library is in DR site and i cant use FC.

thanks!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What tape library?

Since you say that you cannot use FC, is it safe to assume that this is a SAS library with multiple tape drives?

If this is a SAS library with multiple tape drives, then you might be able to use hardware partitioning (i.e. logical libraries) to split the library between the 2 BE servers.

Notice that I said "split", not "share", as it all depends upon your actual goal and how you define "share".

This method gives both BE servers access to a tape library.  But there is no media sharing and no easy cross-server restore capability without moving the media to the other partition, then doing an inventory & catalog job on the "other" server.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

actually it's a direct attched FC tape library and it's in a DR site (200 KM away from main site) , i cant use partitioning.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i know that in netbackup i can have control host that control library and other media servers can access that library using control host over ethernet , i want to do somthing similar to that in BE, is this posssible?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

actually this server with tape library is in DR site and i cant use FC.

actually it's a direct attched FC tape library

the mystery deepens... is it or is not not FC?

what library?  how many tape drives?  what interface?

CraigV

SAN SSO can do this...share an FC-attached tape library amongst multiple media servers...but definitely not across a 200km WAN. This would be LAN only.

Create the job on the CAS (D2D2D2T) and try see if you can duplicate to tape from the remote site.

Thanks!

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

no , i can't when addin 2T i get this.

2T.png

CraigV

You might want to check out the TNs below:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH218171

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO99588