cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow backup rates after Windows security updates

SymBE
Level 2

We have a windows 2008 r2 file cluster. We recently did some windows updates and ever since then, job rates have been cut in half (2100, 600 mb/s)

I have restarted server, libraries, updates all BE hotfixes and such but we still experience this.

Im not toooo thrilled with having to un-install the security updates to see if it resolves the issue but I thought I ask if anyone has come across this before or has some tips

thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The suggestion has always been to uninstall your Windows updates, and then apply them 1 by 1 to see where there is an issue...

The other thing...you're using Windows Server 2008 R2 and logged the call as BE 12.x...BE 2010 is the only version to support Windows Server 2008 R2. If this is the case, you need to upgrade to BE 2010 R3, apply the patches and try the backup again.

You can contact Symantec's licesing department as you will need new license keys. Before doing any upgrade though, grab a copy of your Data/Catalogs folders to another location. The link for the trialware is below:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=91523

Thanks! 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

What version of BE you are using ?

Open jog log and check which resource is taking more time for backup.

Also copy some data(1GB) from the client server to the media server to check the network 

performance.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check the tape drive and medium changer drivers details from device manager.

Tape drives should be using Symantec drivers and medium changer should be using microsoft drivers i.e should be listed as Unknown Medium Changer in the device manager. 

Regards....

CraigV

Hi,

The suggestion has always been to uninstall your Windows updates, and then apply them 1 by 1 to see where there is an issue...

The other thing...you're using Windows Server 2008 R2 and logged the call as BE 12.x...BE 2010 is the only version to support Windows Server 2008 R2. If this is the case, you need to upgrade to BE 2010 R3, apply the patches and try the backup again.

You can contact Symantec's licesing department as you will need new license keys. Before doing any upgrade though, grab a copy of your Data/Catalogs folders to another location. The link for the trialware is below:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=91523

Thanks! 

SymBE
Level 2

thanks everyone for there responses.

Im using 12.5, I have tried the above and have checked that the drivers are correct. I am leaning towards upgrading to 2010 as removing the updates and installing them back one by one - doesn't make me too comfortable...

thanks

CraigV
...it is the only way that Server 2008 R2 is properly supported. If your media server is already on Windows Server 2008 R2, then great...follow the link below to upgrade. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1298273910118 If not, and you're running on Windows Server 2003 for instance, then you may want to upgrade your backup server to Windows Server 2008 R2 (better support for applications like SharePoint 2010 and Exchange 2010), and you'd follow the TN below: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1298273910118

SymBE
Level 2

Sorry...maybe Im confused with something above...

My BE is running on a windows 2003 SP2 platform and backuping a Windows server 2008 r2 enterprise file cluster. Im planning on upgrading to BE 2010 from 12.5

but above I guess my initial post was vague. Will 2010 be a better backup solution for the windows server 2008r2 file cluster or does the BE server need to be 2008 as well....

thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2010 R3 will definitely be better because it has the latest updates and fixes.  You can still use Server 2003 as your media server.   There is no need to upgrade to Server 2008.

You can do a upgrade in-place of your BE, but first, you need a new set of licencing keys for BE.