cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

span over multiple media

geps
Level 2

Hi everyone.

I used Backup Exec until 2012 version, but I stopped because it did not work very well.

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Dell Server with PowerVault RD1000.

Now I'm looking for a software that do two simple things: the first is to span my backup over different media. I have about 700GB of data but only 500GB cartridge, so I would like to setup a backup starting on the first media and once the space is left the cartridge should be ejected automatically and software should ask for insertion of a next blank media on which continue backup.

Do you think it is possible?

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE will eject media (should just be a tick box to select) and prompt to insert overwritable media to complete the job. It has done this across many versions.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Standard file system (drive letter selected) backups will span to cartridges by asking for media (as Craig suggested)

However GRT enabled sets (where you backup a container such as an Exchange database or a virtual machine) cannot span to different cartridges. This is due to the way the complete object has to be mounted to get at the individual content.

As such if you have a single GRT set that is bigger than your cartridge then you will need bigger cartridges - and if your complete backup is made of more than one GRT set or some smaller GRT sets with standard file system sets - then you will probably have to run separate jobs and change the cartridge in between OR arrange the resource order so the GRT sets backup at the start and the file system sets backup at the end and would therefore cross the time a second cartridge is asked for.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

BE will eject media (should just be a tick box to select) and prompt to insert overwritable media to complete the job. It has done this across many versions.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Standard file system (drive letter selected) backups will span to cartridges by asking for media (as Craig suggested)

However GRT enabled sets (where you backup a container such as an Exchange database or a virtual machine) cannot span to different cartridges. This is due to the way the complete object has to be mounted to get at the individual content.

As such if you have a single GRT set that is bigger than your cartridge then you will need bigger cartridges - and if your complete backup is made of more than one GRT set or some smaller GRT sets with standard file system sets - then you will probably have to run separate jobs and change the cartridge in between OR arrange the resource order so the GRT sets backup at the start and the file system sets backup at the end and would therefore cross the time a second cartridge is asked for.

I need to backup only regular files.

Thank you all!