cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

strange error on deduplicated storage folder

reza_akhlaghy
Level 4

Hi

in a trial installation, we created a deduplicated storage (BackupExec 2010 R2) to backup an exchange server. First job will run successfully but eventually it will fail with this error:

V-79-57344-4608 - The backup-to-disk folder that was specified for this job must be on an NTFS volume. Create a new backup-to-disk folder on an NTFS volume or modify the current folder, and then submit the job again.

This error is quite misleading, and if you create a normal B2D folder it will backup without any problem.

I findout that it is a known bug, but I need to know if there is any workaround and also how can I provide more info to support to fix it quickly.

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The backup-to-disk folder must exist on an NTFS partition for backup jobs in which the Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) option is selected. This option is available for Microsoft Exchange databases and storage groups, Microsoft Active Directory, and Microsoft SharePoint content database and Team database. May be same for dedup storage folder also

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

He alread said that the first couple of dedeup jobs work but eventually they stop working, so I doubt the problem is that the storage location is not NTFS

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135975   indicated that this is a known problem and the blurb is mis-leading (as is stated by the OP)

All the OP was asking was "Is there another workaround, or is the any way to expdite the solution to the problem?"

teiva-boy
Level 6

Turn off GRT and try again.

reza_akhlaghy
Level 4

Thanks for replies,

The reason customer chose BE 2010 is deduplication and GRT together, so turning off GRT is not an option.

Any other ideas?

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

Reza! can find out any warning and errors in event logs, Please post if possible

BE_ADMIN2010
Level 3

Sadly, this is indeed a known issue with BE 2010 R2. We had GRT enabled backups going to the deduplication store, quite happlily for about a month and then they simply started to fail. My Error message is 0xe0001203. If I turn off GRT based backups it works fine. I am still awaiting a hotfix for this issue, so in the mean time these jobs are targeting a traditional Backup to Disc folder on a seperate drive.

reza_akhlaghy
Level 4

here are event log errors:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS
Event Category: Exchange VSS Writer
Event ID: 9782
Date:  9/27/2010
Time:  8:01:55 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: MB1
Description:
Exchange VSS Writer (instance 11e36ba6-25f4-4cdc-89fd-09ddef790d56:191) has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group 'Accounting-SG'. No log files have been truncated for this storage group.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 49 6e 63 72 65 6d 65 6e   Incremen
0008: 74 61 6c 00               tal.   

Event Source: ESE
Event Category: ShadowCopy
Event ID: 2007
Time:  8:01:55 PM
Description:
Information Store (5708) Shadow copy instance 191 aborted.
Event Source: MSExchangeIS
Event Category: Exchange VSS Writer
Event ID: 9782
Time:  8:02:12 PM
Description:
Exchange VSS Writer (instance 89c4e36d-4704-4139-8746-c6092d71da74:192) has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group 'CandI-SG'. No log files have been truncated for this storage group.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:

I dont know whether it is related or not.