cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

symantec backup exec error

rajkamath
Level 3

i have backup exec 12.5 rev2213 with sp4 installed and all hotfixes i suppose.(liveupdate doesnt show anything new).I have been trying to backup my exchange server for over a week now and am getting an error e800846b, prompting me to ensure ihave the right version of remote agent installed. i have various times reinstalled the agent on all the servers through the media server remote push but still the same issue. the same thing happens while trying to backup my fileserver/sql database.

everythign used to work fine, but started acting weird since over a week now and gives me this error.steps i have tried so far,

performed liveupdate on the media server

removed agent from the remtoe servers, rebooted and reinstalled

open file option is not enabled on the exchange servers

tried registry entry for MonadRpcTimeout on the media server and the exchange server.

installed hotfix 319699

ensured the service account is part of the local admin group (exclusively added)

all services are up and running

the minute the backup starts, the agent on the remote server crashes and backup fails after that.

any help would be highly appreciated and thanks in advnace,

regards

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see any error messages in the event viewer of the remote server. If the remote agent service

is crashing then there will be an error about faulting module for the remote agent. Also compare the 

version of remote agent on the remote server with the agent on the media server.

rajkamath
Level 3

ran debugging while the backup was happening and got the following message

BESERVER: [10/02/11 11:46:56] [4288] Failed to open Microsoft cluster ()
BESERVER: [10/02/11 11:46:56] [4288] VCS cluster keys do not appear to be present in the registry
BESERVER: [10/02/11 11:46:56] [4288] Failed to open VCS cluster ()

i have compared the versions of remote agent on the media server and the remote servers and they are the same. i am attaching a screen shot of the event viewer log that iget on the media server and also on the remote server

i have also done thse two steps

a. Stop all Backup Exec services.
b. Browse to C:> Program files> Symantec> Backup Exec and rename the file bedssps2.dll to bedssps2.old
c. Stop and restart all Backup Exec Services and retry the backup.

and confirmed that the services are running under the proper account : 

Backup Exec Agent Browser - Domain Service Account
Backup Exec Device and Media Service - Domain Service Account
Backup Exec Job Engine - Domain Service Account
Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems - Local System
Backup Exec Server - Domain Service Account

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Did you make any changes to your OS environment like loading patches or SPs? If you'r running an AV can you confirm whether or not it may be scanning the beremote.exe service on those remote servers or not? If so, put in an exclusion and try the backup again.

Thanks!

rajkamath
Level 3

there were no changes done to the environment other than a proper shutdown since we had a power issue and my batter would run out of juince. ever since then this has happend. I have AV , but there is exception provided for beremote.exe

rajkamath
Level 3

greetings,

i reinstalled .net on the media server and surprisingly the file server backup happend.however we are still having issues with the exchange server backup. can anyone advise please. it only backs up upto 21mb and then fails. the error that i get for exchange now is e000fe7c - Database was not found and could not be backed up. Please make sure database exists and is mounted( this is for the exchange backup, for system state etc , i get e000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. 

help is highloy appreciated.

thx

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can log onto the Exchange server and make sure that the RAWS agent is started up and publishing correctly to the server.

Thanks!