cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape capacity and restore

jolinchewjb
Level 3

every weekday, we have average 60 GB of backup data, full backup every week is 2500 GB, so which size(volumn) of HP LTO6 tape we should buy?

I have incremental backup every weekday, saturday full backup for user profile, On March.2 (Wednesday), user ABC delete some files in his desktop, now how to restore profile ABC before March.2?

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) LTO6 tapes comes in only one capacity. 2) assuming that you have not taken the Wed backup, you would restore the Sat full plus the Mon and Tue incremental backups

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) LTO-6 tapes have about a native (uncompressed) capacity of 2.5TB.

2) Since you are using BE 2012, the restore wizard offers a "synthesized" view, which means if you select the entire folder, all files from the full and necessary incremental will automatically be selected for restore.

Have a look @ this article - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH195950

jolinchewjb
Level 3

how about LTO-7 capacity?

currently we put one LTO6 tape in the driver in Friday, only next Friday we change the tape.now assuming my backup size Monday: 30 GB, Tuesday: 70GB, Wednesday: 40 GB,  Friday: 50 GB, Saturday (full backup): 2490 GB.do we have to use LTO7, and do we need to buy auto loader? (tape library), how many tape we can put inside the auto loader?

and can anyone provide me the link of auto loader technical specification (HP brand)?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I don't think anybody has released a LTO7 tape drive yet. There are tape libraries of different number of slots from various manufacturers. Search the Net. Also I would suggest that you read up on LTO technology Do talk to your reseller

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

LTO7 is available from Dell and HP at an incredible cost! Unless the data is already compressed you can work on a range from 1.1:1 to 1.5:1 for compression.

Cost-wise it depends on how much you want to spend.

jolinchewjb
Level 3

how to see the compression ratio in BackupExec 12?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check your tape itself to see what its doing in terms of compression.

Thanks!

jolinchewjb
Level 3

but can it be changed?