cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape connectivity to BE VM

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello dears,

I have a windows 16 server that has hyper-v role installed on. I have several VMs on that host. One of the VMs has backup exec software installed on. I have a tape drive that is connected to the Hyper-V host. If I use a third party tool to pass through the tape drive to the BE VM (tape  drive visible in the BE VM's device manager). What I want to know is:

1- Will BE be able to "see" this tape drive and be able to successfully back up VMs to it?

2- Is this scenario supported by VERITAS?

3- If for some reason we faced backup/restore issues, will VERITAS provide support for us?

Awaiting your soonest reply.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1) You might be able to see the drives but no guarantee

2) Not supported

3) No we won't give support unless you can prove to us that the probelm is present with a physical server being used in the same way.

The scenario counts as an Alternative Configuration (and we define the meaning of this term in our compatibility documents)

For your scenario, to be supported you should install Backup Exec directly on the Hyper-V Host

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

1) You might be able to see the drives but no guarantee

2) Not supported

3) No we won't give support unless you can prove to us that the probelm is present with a physical server being used in the same way.

The scenario counts as an Alternative Configuration (and we define the meaning of this term in our compatibility documents)

For your scenario, to be supported you should install Backup Exec directly on the Hyper-V Host

Thanks Colin. Much Appreciated!