cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape drive going offline in BE 2010 R3

dinjo1984
Level 2

Hi All,

i am running Backup Exec 2010 R3 on a Windows server 2008 r2 Standard VM using passthrough. i am having an issue where the backup tape is keep being put offline.

when the initial setup was done, everything worked fine for over 2 weeks getting successful backups every night, then all of a sudden, the tape drive would go offline. i was able to bring it back online again but as soon as i attempt to run a job (backup or inventory) the tape drive goes offline again.

the tape drive, the SAS Card and the SAS cable have all been replaced, but to no avail. The Library and tape toold shows no errors and even though the tape drive goes offline in BE, it never goes offline in the Device Manager.

while waiting on delivery of parts i have been reverting to a temp Backup to Disk folder, which has been successful every time i use it. the storage isnt there to constantly use this as a backup solution.

please help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Dinjo,

This is UNSUPPORTED Configuration.

Please refer to the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609 : Can Backup Exec Media Servers be installed on a Guest virtual machine running on an ESX server?

EDIT:  please check the Note in that technote which is as follows

Note: Using a tape backup device attached to a virtual machine through the SCSI pass-through mechanism is considered an Alternative Configuration. Our Licensed Software is designed to interoperate with many types of systems, applications, and hardware. Sometimes a customer may choose to use our Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration, namely, an environment that has not been validated, approved or verified to operate with our Licensed Software or which does not support such Licensed Software or only supports limited functionality. In most cases, we do not support Alternative Configurations, and we have no obligation to provide Support Services to Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration. Symantec makes no warranty with respect to use of Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration and any such use is at your own risk.

Regards,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Dinjo,

This is UNSUPPORTED Configuration.

Please refer to the following technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609 : Can Backup Exec Media Servers be installed on a Guest virtual machine running on an ESX server?

EDIT:  please check the Note in that technote which is as follows

Note: Using a tape backup device attached to a virtual machine through the SCSI pass-through mechanism is considered an Alternative Configuration. Our Licensed Software is designed to interoperate with many types of systems, applications, and hardware. Sometimes a customer may choose to use our Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration, namely, an environment that has not been validated, approved or verified to operate with our Licensed Software or which does not support such Licensed Software or only supports limited functionality. In most cases, we do not support Alternative Configurations, and we have no obligation to provide Support Services to Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration. Symantec makes no warranty with respect to use of Licensed Software in an Alternative Configuration and any such use is at your own risk.

Regards,

-Sush...

dinjo1984
Level 2

Hi Sush,

thanks for the reply. we will have to investigate further ourselves.

Dinjo

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you can put this onto a physical server you're going to have a supported solution and it will be easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks!