cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tape labelling

zak2011
Level 6

Hi,

I have been using tapes to backup my data for a while now. However the daily, weekly, monthly tapes are taken often to an offsite location and placed on shleves. The first shelf contains the daily and the weekly tapes and the second shelf contains the monthly tapes and the top top contains the yearly tapes. . I know for myself the tapes i keep from the left to the right are from the newest week to the oldest. But if someone comes and messes up the order its going to be a huge hassel. Is there a better way to keep it organized and labelled while its in the offsite location so that i can keep track of them in a better way or a better labelling scheme? the tapes all have individual bar codes.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Zak,

I think this is something that needs to be done manually. May be you can put a label on the tape manually and write the name on it as Daily, Weekly, Yearly.. .and so on.

The reason why I am suggesting this is because Backup Exec will not work on the name of the tapes but the properties of it like Overwrite Protection and Append Period... and of cource the Barcodes.

Thanks,

-Sush...

zak2011
Level 6

The Daily and weekly tapes have shoter retension times and will be reused option. The monthly tapes have retension of one year and yearly has for 10 years.

So how do you suggest if i have to do this manually?

Thanks