cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to-Disk-to-Disk and spanning

kortex
Level 2

I have a problem with to-Disk-to-Disk jobs if there is spanning involved.

For example:

1. Full backup of fileserver to a storage pool (Tandberg Quikstation with 8 RDX slots). Works fine
  2. to-Disk-to-Disk-job on a external HDD. Two possible outcomes
    • If full backup created in step 1 is stored entirely one RDX from the pool, the to-Disk-Copy is successfull.
    • If full backup created in step 1 spans over two or more RDX in the storage pool (e.g. slot 4 and 5) the following happens:
      • job starts and everything from the RDX in slot 4 is copied to the external drive
      • when the job reaches the backup files which are located on the RDX in slot 5, BEX ejects the RDX from slot 4 and requests the RDX which is placed in slot 5
      • screenshot attached (german BEX)

Why does BEX not use the RDX in slot 5 and instead ejects the one in slot 4? What am I missing or doing wrong? 

5 REPLIES 5

pravinkumar_d
Level 3

Hi,

First explain me who is the spanning happens is it becuase you have choosed any Disk storage in job properties under storage ?

If not you may need to create storage pool - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000108687

Try creating 2 storage pool 1 for all your primary jobs and 2nd for all your duplicate copy in that way tape/disk spanning will work without any issue. try it and share you feedback so i can give you next action.

Regards
Pravin Kumar D

I already have a storrage pool containing 8 RDX-Drives. Jobs targeting this pool are working fine and Backup Exec uses spanning as it should (e.g. Slot 4 and 5)

But there is a problem when I use dublicate jobs invloving this storrage pool. Backup Exec is not able to use slot 4 and 5 as source. It always requests the RDX cardrige which is already placed in slot 5 to be injected in slot 4.

I don't know how to explain it any better. I tried to visualize it (see attached)

What Kind of jobs are they ? Normal file server or GRT of database like exchange / VM ?

Regards
Pravin Kumar D

Normal file server

create a case with support they can help you / may need to debug if required

Regards
Pravin Kumar D