cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transfer rate broke down to a third

Tiemo
Level 3
Hello,
I know that this topic is stressed already some times in different variations, but I couldn't find any answer for me yet.

I do a full backup with BE 12.0 Rev 1364 of local Raid 5 discs to an internal RD1000 disc cartdrige. It's about 290GB in total. The BE job always runs at sunday night, no other job is running, no user is logged in.
Before this job had a transfer rate (order rate) between 1600 MB/min and 1800 MB/min, since three weeks the order rate broke down to 600-700 MB/min, what is getting time critical for me. It is the same server and the same datas backed up, so it can't be an issue of the numer of files or sizes and I didn't changed anything on the hardware.

The "only" thing I have changed in the order setup some time ago was to activate the advanced open file Option. But I thought it was before the break down of the transfer rate and I never heard, that it could affect the performance so bad.

I am thankful for every idea, what could have happened to my jobs or what to check for
thanks for any hint
Tiemo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tiemo
Level 3
Hi I just tested to make a B2D test backup on an internal HD and it run with blasting 3700 MB/min order rate
So obviously it is related to the the RD1000 device, driver or whatever. I will give Dell a call.
Thanks

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Tiemo,

Did you load up any new patches before the drop-off in backup times?
AOFO will do a check to see if the file is open, and if it is, it backs up the file.
It would add a bit of overhead, but nothing where it drops your backup rates by half.

Laters!

Tiemo
Level 3
Hi Craig,
I installed all regular Win 2003 and BE patches, as they are offered (monthly). But because I didn't noticed the performance decrease immediatly I can't connect it to any patch install.

CraigV
OK...then did you push those updates out via the RAWS push install after you loaded up the BEWS patches? This will automatically notify you of any updates available and ask you to proceeed.
I'd suggest doing that next.

Tiemo
Level 3
actually I don't know how to push updates via the RAWS. Reading the docs the only thing I found with RAWS was something using remote agents. But I don't use any remote agents. I am backing up only one local server where the BE is installed on. The updates where installed via LiveUpdate. No Remote thing involved.
Thanks

CraigV
OK, then that's not it.
See if a server restart will fix it. Did you get any prompts to restart AFTER the patches were applied?

Tiemo
Level 3
ok, I will check it after next full backup next sunday, thanks so far

Tiemo
Level 3
No change
I installed all current updates on Win 2003 Server and BE, restarted the server and did a full backup. Again only 680MB/min order rate.
What else can I check, I have no idea left.
Thanks for any hint

CraigV
Um, the only other thing I can think of are:

1. Antivirus - any antivirus scanning going on at the same time?
2. Removable storage - is the RSM service stopped?

Thanks!

Tiemo
Level 3
Hi Craig,

no Antivirus scan is running. Just the standard MacAfee watch service.

I only have an internal RD1000 with (removable) hard disc cartridges as backup media. No tape device. As far as I see I don't have a RSM service at all.

I remember when the technician initially installed the server, the transfer rate also was around 600MB/min. And he changed the Transfer-Mode of both primary and secondary IDE channels from PIO to DMA and that did the trick to boost to 1600-1800MB/min. But I just checked this setting and it is still on DMA.

Any idea what could have happened?
Thanks

CraigV
Mmm...what happens when you put that setting back?
Were any updates performed on that server before the speed decrease? Could be either Windows, Backup Exec, drivers etc?
If you do a small B2D (not to the removable drives), what sort of speed are you getting?
I'd also suggest looking at installing the latest updates, but: A] I don't want to have you end up with additional problems; B] might not sort the issue out entirely!

Tiemo
Level 3
Hi I just tested to make a B2D test backup on an internal HD and it run with blasting 3700 MB/min order rate
So obviously it is related to the the RD1000 device, driver or whatever. I will give Dell a call.
Thanks